FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: X Rap eyes  (Read 3614 times)

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
X Rap eyes
« on: May 23, 2005, 11:40 AM »
Hit a new lake Saturday evening around 5:30.  Caught over 30 fish while looking for walleye structure.  Found a nice ridge to troll and they started hitting at dark.  Every one was taken on an X-Rap.  Every fish was caught while trolling slow, and every one was on the pause.
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: X Rap eyes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Great job. Those are some nice eyes. man are they going to taste good. 8) 8)
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

Robb

• Upstate NY
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 12:23 PM »
Real nice Eye's!! What's an X-Rap? Crainkbait?

Robb

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 12:56 PM »
Yepper, love them Rapalas!  Just wish they hadn't stop making the Crawdad colors in the Jerks...  It was definitely a positive first encounter with the X-Raps.  Worked them like a Jerk.  Sometimes soft twitches, sometimes more violent.  Lots of pauses...
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Nice catch from Lake X.  You love them Rapala's don't ya and for good reason.  I'm looking to pick up a couple of the new deep taildancers but they are hard to come by.  Cabela's had em all backordered.   
The deep diver taildancers are great baits! Keep searching, you won't regret it!

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 03:14 PM »
The down deep husky jerks are a great bait also...

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 03:25 PM »
The down deep husky jerks are a great bait also...
I have several, they are great for early season, well everything!

Deposit

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 07:08 PM »
I have a question about the X-rap. Have you noticed that the eyes and paint come off after a few strikes? A buddy of mine used one today (caught a heck of a lot of fish on it then lost it to a giant toothy that snapped his fire line!!!) After two small pike hits one of the eyes came off. Not long after some bass action the other one came off and the paint flaked off! It had just come out of the box that morning! Anyhoo even withe the eyes gone and the flaky paint it still caught fish. Going to have to pick me up some of those :P

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 10:11 PM »
nice eyes man!

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 10:50 AM »
MMMM....... Some fine eatin to be had great fish Ol Crawdad :thumbup_smilie:

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 10:55 AM »
were you using planer boards or any weight, or just longlining behind the boat?

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 11:09 AM »
Have you noticed that the eyes and paint come off after a few strikes?  :P
No, the paint has been fine.  Just normal scratches from pickeral and walleye teeth!
were you using planer boards or any weight, or just longlining behind the boat?
Nope, just longlining.  I do a lot of S turns tho, running the boat shallow, then deep.  With a longline, the lure tends to track mostly in a line, while the boat goes outside of, then inside of where I hope the fish are that I am targetting.  I like to believe this keeps the boat from spooking the fish, which is the reason for the planer boards, and it also allows me to go real slow, and impart my own action to the lure (i was trolling with the electric motor).  After trolling for 25 years, I truly believe a lure that is worked while trolled is infinitely better than one that is just pulled along by the boat.  More so for some types of fish like bass and pike, but it is definitely true for walleyes most of the time also.  Also, I find trolling with FIRELINE helps a ton.  You can feel the slightest hit, and you know if there is the tiniest weed or other on the lure.  Even a zebra mussel can be felt...

Reelmaster

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 10:53 PM »
sweet how did you like the new rap. I want to try one out. looks like it worked to me. ;D ;D
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

FingerLakesBen

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 02:50 AM »
Nice catch from Lake X.  You love them Rapala's don't ya and for good reason.  I'm looking to pick up a couple of the new deep taildancers but they are hard to come by.  Cabela's had em all backordered.   

i was at bass pro last friday and they had a bunch of them.  not sure how far a drive you are from auburn, but it might be worth it.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 11:39 AM »
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this....How do you twitch and pause while trolling?  ???

I dont do much trolling but everytime i have, We would set up our rig then watch for the strike, If you don't mind me asking, what is your technique?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.