FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Un-Retired …..Again!  (Read 42192 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Un-Retired …..Again!
« on: Jun 08, 2021, 11:44 AM »
Decided to go work at a local country club. My son is my new boss. I’ll be mowing greens, approaches and such. 3 days a week 4-5 hours a day. It’ll be good working with him. Been years since we worked together.

Should be fun.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Beekeeper1099

Re: Un-Retired …..Again!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2021, 01:21 PM »
Good for you rg. Enjoy!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Well, at least I won’t have to buy golf balls. Think we picked up half a dozen just driving the course.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oatkasut

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2021, 03:48 PM »
  Don't forget those  water hazards .....fish, gulf balls, maybe carp!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2021, 04:32 PM »
Well, the whole course is a swamp . I’ve fished the main ponds more times than I can count. Years back the DEC killed the main ponds to rid them of grass carp. Don’t know what’s left except bullhead.

No matter. I’m only there to mow greens and aprons. Maybe tees if I get bored.

iceman260

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2021, 09:49 AM »
Sounds like the ideal retirement part time job. Working with your son and outdoors, great combo.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2021, 10:25 AM »
First day…..I like it! Mowed approaches, fringe and the driving range tee. Good bunch of guys. Several my age(old farts).

My son is a busy guy on that course.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2021, 08:05 AM »
I love this job! Jump on a mower and go. Nobody bothers me at all. No overhead pages “Special assistance needed in aisle 13”.  (Don’t miss that one little bit)

We had an early start this morning. Tournament today. I was mowing at 5:30. Done in 3 hours. My Son was a bit frantic because the Greens guys got lost somewhere. As I was leaving he was headed out on a Greens mower. He takes his work seriously and really wants the course to look…..not just good, but, GREAT!

I’m sure he’ll have me mowing greens soon.
Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2021, 07:30 PM »
Golf….the only game where one goes to extraordinary lengths  to do as little as possible.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2021, 04:35 AM »
Golf….the only game where one goes to extraordinary lengths  to do as little as possible.Rg

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

PikeKing23

« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2021, 05:31 AM »
Golf course ponds can be excellent for large golden shiners. I would do some investigating. Keep a baggie full of oatmeal in your pocket.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jun 19, 2021, 05:38 AM »
Stayed at Nick Faldo’s golf resort in Florida with my brides family years ago and they are all big time golfers.   They all brought there clubs and I brought a telescopic fishing rod and a small box of tackle.   I fished a lot of the ponds and got a bunch of smaller bass ... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2021, 06:31 AM »
This course is built in a swamp. There’s 3 main ponds that interconnect. The furthest is my bullhead pond. The largest pond in the middle is a great pond for panfish, pike and bass. The other pond was overrun with grass carp. A few years back the DEC killed the entire pond to get rid of them. Don’t know what’s in there now.

The course will eat golf balls like no other I’ve played. It’s tough if you’re an average golfer. Hit one O.B. And you may as well just drop another. Geese are a plague. They’re like feathered rats. They come out of the ponds and crap all over the two finish greens at the clubhouse. When my son first worked there some years back, the super had a border collie that kept them in check. They also had permits to dispose of a pretty much unlimited quantity of them. That’s all changed now. Tree hugging members probably raised a stink.

So now they putt through goose crap.

Rg

ran7ger

« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2021, 08:31 AM »
 congrats on the gig rg.  i'm the equipment tech for a course in northern saskatchewan.  came up after school for a summer job and never left.  we've got the same geese problems here and a dog that "likes" goslings  :whistling: we also had a gal years ago that was quite accomplished with a bow.   she stuck one with an arrow and the d**n thing flew off and landed in a pond.  survived for a few days that way and we had a number of concerned members stop by the shop.  "must have flown over that way from the rez".

you quickly learn what a dynamic but also rewarding business golf course maintenance is.
got a fish on the line and my boat on the water
and it's gettin' near time to take the cows to the slaughter

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2021, 05:14 PM »
Well, I’m a golfer of sorts. The guy who took me out my first day is a volunteer member. First question he asked was “you a golfer?”. I said yes and he replies  “ Good, you’ve got some common sense then”. We got along just fine.

I almost lost it on the triplex as I started sliding downhill into a pond. A really tight approach and I hadn’t mastered the 3 point turn yet.  I managed to stay dry and get out of trouble. My Son chuckled and said “ I’ve seen a few triplexes in that pond.”

Second day I tried mowing lengthwise on that hole rather than side to side but got off line. My Son sent me a message.    ” NO DOUBLE STRIPES”

He was busting my chops. Well deserved paybacks. Third day was tournament day. With some instruction from him I managed to mow it lengthwise and left it looking pretty darned good. No problems with the other holes I mowed.

I can see me being an asset here. I have a good bit of mechanical, electrical and every day experience. My Son knows that. The Super is just getting used to me.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.