FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Haddock vs. Cod  (Read 7046 times)

PDubs/NH

Haddock vs. Cod
« on: Apr 13, 2010, 09:57 AM »
I know there are a LOT of folks who really get excited over haddock. I think they add nicely to a fishbox, esp. with no # limit.  But, am I one of the few that actually prefer cod to eat?  I dont find a very big flavor difference at all, and cod to me seems to be a bit firmer consistency when cooked.

And does anyone notice this - when you fillet haddock "at sea" and bag them, the skin tends to continue to slime quite a bit, and fillets need to be washed off pretty well back at home... Cod don't seem to do this, at least not to anywhere near the same extent.

On our private trips, I tend to take my fish home whole, but on 6 pack charters we always are filleting at sea and Id rather give the guys all the haddock and take the cod... ???

salmon stalker

Re: Haddock vs. Cod
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2010, 10:06 AM »
I have not noticed the slim on the filets after.

I do however bleed all my fish before I put them in the cooler or boat. I gut the throat/gills and let them bleed out.

Makes fileting cleaner and I notice a taste difference on the filets. Any species I bleed, they taste much better after cooked
The outdoors, a real man's playground!!!!!!

PDubs/NH

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2010, 11:01 AM »

I do however bleed all my fish before I put them in the cooler or boat. I gut the throat/gills and let them bleed out.

Makes fileting cleaner and I notice a taste difference on the filets. Any species I bleed, they taste much better after cooked

Yep - I bleed cod/haddock, bluefish, the occasional striper I keep, the few tuna Ive caught...  I agree with you 100% that it makes filleting cleaner and a better quality end-meal!!

Rob F.

• Quit Wishin, Go Fishing!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2010, 11:25 AM »
Yes, Haddock have more slime on them and tend to dull your knife sooner - not as bad as cusk.

My taste buds prefer cod too. I have cooked both haddock and cod same time, same recipe, same day caught and I do prefer cod better. But after they have been frozen I find haddock is better texture wise.

big lou

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2010, 11:33 AM »
i'm with you on thatRob cod are alot firmer than haddock . they also hold up better in the freezer.I always fillet mine when i get home i don't want to clean fish i clean my gear  and put the meat away.Haddock are like cusk with heavy slim and mud yuo can smell the differance.

Mikey

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Fresh haddock is my fave. After I skin it and freeze it i cant tell the diff.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2010, 12:49 PM »
cod is god! I like the texture better, I like the fight better, and I like the fact that you can catch a 60 pounder and not just an 8 pounder. Plus they pound the snot out of jigs im not much of a bait guy. COD WINS!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

PDubs/NH

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Geez...maybe Im not as crazy as I thought I was!!!   :laugh:

And, although you can slam a 60lber+, I have to say my favorite for eating are 10-20lbers. Nice big fillets and not as many worms as the whales, and a little better texture. JMO.

I've just had to deal with bags of haddock fillets where it was like a scene from Mike Rowe and Dirty Jobs harvesting slime eels trying to get them cleaned and vac sealed....

CJiceaddict

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2010, 01:17 PM »
cod is god! I like the texture better, I like the fight better, and I like the fact that you can catch a 60 pounder and not just an 8 pounder. Plus they pound the snot out of jigs im not much of a bait guy. COD WINS!

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. Not much of a bait hanger, can get pretty olf when their not bitin. At least when your swingin a jig, theres always something going on

bikrsrule

« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2010, 06:26 PM »
another vote for the codfish dish, last longer in the freezer and a whole lot for fun catching a 50 pound cod that 10 lil 5 lb haddock...I too am a jig fan, we dont even carry bait on board unless someone really wants some.

shadfish

« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2010, 07:50 PM »
COD COD COD  ;D but I'll also take haddock

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2010, 08:03 PM »
When there is a plate of haddock and a plate of cod next to each other and a fork in both hands, I have a tough time deciding  which one I like better :rotflol: :rotflol: WAITIN ON MY MARATHON TRIP ON THE 26TH ! GGRRRR, HATE WAITIN ;D

rockhound57

• can't wait to fish
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2010, 09:08 PM »
     I'll take anything you can catch except dogs, it's all good to me!! I can't tell a difference in the main three, except Pollock is softer; still tastes great!
     I'm a little confused though, until last year, every time I've gone out, the mate always fully fileted the fish, so no skin to deal with at home. Is this a new rule for identification or something? Or just different boats/ mates?
Too Soon Old - Too Late Smart!

PDubs/NH

« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2010, 07:39 AM »
     I'll take anything you can catch except dogs, it's all good to me!! I can't tell a difference in the main three, except Pollock is softer; still tastes great!
     I'm a little confused though, until last year, every time I've gone out, the mate always fully fileted the fish, so no skin to deal with at home. Is this a new rule for identification or something? Or just different boats/ mates?

This was on a "six pack" charter, and I know of a few others that do this - leave the skin on haddock, but not necessarily cod. It may be if they ever get "checked" some of the smaller fillets from haddock, that might look like a "short cod" can be ID'd.  I don't think they are as concerned on a party boat. I can't see the authorities picking through 120 people's bags of fish...

???

oak

« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2010, 08:22 AM »

I should know but I have to ask when you bleed your fish do you cut their throats and hang them overboard for a bit or what is the procedure?
"Oak"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.