FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: something new to consider...  (Read 2568 times)

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
something new to consider...
« on: May 12, 2020, 05:12 PM »
With the COVID19 threat lingering around like a bad penny, and the recurring tick nuisance, here's something that has been nagging me recently (as the weather warms)

Can the COVID19 virus be transmitted by insect bites from blood sucking insects?

I'm thinking tick, mosquitos and even fleas.

I have visions of a resurgence of infected individuals where there are no connections to infected individuals.
If it turns out to be possible, we will definitely be screwed.

Imagine not being able to go outside at all?
Or if you do, wearing more protective clothing than a guy cleaning nuclear reactor coolant tanks.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and praying.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

lowaccord66

Re: something new to consider...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 07:09 PM »
We'd be more screwed if no one ever died...

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 07:17 PM »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 08:13 PM »
wouldnt wont with a virus like covid 19 but what about HIV? you can literally have flying aids

SkunkLuvver

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 08:52 PM »
I was wondering about the mosquito thing too. Was listening to a radio show and the dr they had on said it can’t be transmitted through blood, only mucus membranes so it shouldn’t be a problem.. not sure how much faith I have in that though.

I also wonder about black flies and gnats as they’re all up in your face.

Getting my antibody test Thursday so hopefully will be able to worry about crap like that less  :tipup:

Bass to mouth

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 10:43 PM »
I think I said this before but the state should put massive solar powered bug zappers near wetlands all over the state. The biggest argument to this was who's going to clean them, I say the bugs would just burn off.

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 11:12 PM »
I think I said this before but the state should put massive solar powered bug zappers near wetlands all over the state. The biggest argument to this was who's going to clean them, I say the bugs would just burn off.

I went to college for Environmental Sciences and removing huge amounts of bugs would be a very bad idea. We even mapped it out to demonstrate doing that would hurt the deer population... And all the fish that eat all the bugs, it would be bad. That said I hate the little buggers!

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 11:36 PM »
I was wondering about the mosquito thing too. Was listening to a radio show and the dr they had on said it can’t be transmitted through blood, only mucus membranes so it shouldn’t be a problem.. not sure how much faith I have in that though.

I also wonder about black flies and gnats as they’re all up in your face.

Getting my antibody test Thursday so hopefully will be able to worry about crap like that less  :tipup:

Testing is all well and good but don't let your guard down.  Just like the flu god only knows how many strains of covid might getcha.  Everyone will be on the edge of their seats waiting for the newest antibody test that didn't exist 3 months prior.  God bless those of you willing to be the guinea pigs on that one....meanwhile one of my customers, a company making tests is profiting...wildly. 

Bass to mouth

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 01:13 AM »
@Stripernut
Thats a very good point but chemical spraying is already the only solution. I say put zappers next to heavy mosquito hatches instead of spraying. Sounds like a happy medium to me or let's do nothing.

stripernut

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 06:34 AM »
We don't need to spread more chemicals across the environment or use zappers that kill more bugs than mosquitoes. Just use one of the many ways to keep them off you. I often use a head net to keep them off. I spend more time than most outside at the times of day they are the most active and I rarely get bit and when I do, it is because I did not do what I know I should have done. I fall in the let's do nothing group... As for bug zappers here is what a quick google search found;

They found that just 4.1% of the insects killed in the bug zappers were female (and therefore biting) mosquitoes. May 28, 2019

Over 95% of the Zaps you hear are killing other insects... Let not cut off our face to spite our nose.

bogtrotter

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 07:05 AM »
I've heard folks who raise chickens dont' have ticks in their yards 'cuz the chickens eat `em.

So let's "stock" the wilderness with chickens to keep down the ticks.

Of course, then we might have to worry about outbreaks of avian flu.

zwiggles

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 10:45 AM »
We don't need to spread more chemicals across the environment or use zappers that kill more bugs than mosquitoes. Just use one of the many ways to keep them off you. I often use a head net to keep them off. I spend more time than most outside at the times of day they are the most active and I rarely get bit and when I do, it is because I did not do what I know I should have done. I fall in the let's do nothing group... As for bug zappers here is what a quick google search found;

Over 95% of the Zaps you hear are killing other insects... Let not cut off our face to spite our nose.

Stop making sense!

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 11:05 AM »
This thread brings up a thought....how horrible must it be for a germaphobe now. 

Fishermantim

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 11:16 AM »
This thread brings up a thought....how horrible must it be for a germaphobe now.

They've probably already keeled over from washing and sterilizing themselves and their hermetically sealed houses.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Fishermantim

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Forget the bug zappers, use an industrial sized CO2 trap.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.