FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rod Storage for Truck Bed  (Read 3153 times)

westernmas

Rod Storage for Truck Bed
« on: Jun 26, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Looking for DIY rod storage options for the bed of my truck.  I'm a little hesitant to pay over $100 for a suction cup or magentic option that mounts to your hood and roof.  I'm skeptical that they will hold on the highway when going upwards of 80 mph.  I'm looking for something that can store all types of rods from fly rods, smaller spinning setups for freshwater and saltwater surf rods.  My reels and rods take a beating sliding around in the bed of my truck and since I've got a new truck I'd like to put an end to that.  It seems most solutions online are PVC solutions that are pretty bulky.  I also have a canoe and few kayaks that I load into my bed so I don't want it getting in the way when I put those items in there.  Perhaps something I could easily remove would be best.  Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Rod Storage for Truck Bed
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2019, 08:26 AM »
I see a lot of people that have their rods in home made racks out of PVC or whatever in the bed and it just makes me cringe. WORSE the ones that have them in those surfcasting rigs on the front bumper with a cooler. There is no way these people have ever owned a motorcycle. Like I am sure a lot of you do, I have thousands invested in my rods and reels and I personally think you would have to be crazy to have these things getting sandblasted and covered in bug guts and road grime. Even in the bed of a truck they are bound to get dust and dirt pressure blasted deep into the reels. Maybe I am overthinking it but my rods go under the toneau cover or in the rod locker of the boat, but I suppose if they are getting beat up then dirt is better, at least it can be cleaned.

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Yeah, my more expensive reels typically ride in the cab.  I put my cheaper rods/reels like my 5wts and bass rods in the bed so I'm not too concerned w some dirt in the bed kicking around.  I'm more concerned with them sliding around in the bed and scratching them up real bad.  Toneau cover isn't an option when I load a kayak in and out of the bed all of the time, especially my pedal driven kayak.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2019, 08:47 AM »
They can't go in the kayak? Or strapped to it as I'm sure it's a sit on top?

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Shouldnt have bought a tacoma!!!   In the cab tips out the rear window.  Not elegant but works.

bassin212

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2019, 10:41 AM »
I have about 5-6 rods that pretty much remain in the bed of my truck, maybe it depends on bed length? But I have a 5.5 foot bed and they're angled corner to corner so they don't move much. If you have anything close to the bottom of the bed to hook on a bungee. Run it from one side to the other, put all the reels on top, and then run a bungee over? Keeps the rods off the bed and stationary?

Roccus

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Looking for DIY rod storage options for the bed of my truck.  I'm a little hesitant to pay over $100 for a suction cup or magentic option that mounts to your hood and roof.  I'm skeptical that they will hold on the highway when going upwards of 80 mph.  I'm looking for something that can store all types of rods from fly rods, smaller spinning setups for freshwater and saltwater surf rods.  My reels and rods take a beating sliding around in the bed of my truck and since I've got a new truck I'd like to put an end to that.  It seems most solutions online are PVC solutions that are pretty bulky.  I also have a canoe and few kayaks that I load into my bed so I don't want it getting in the way when I put those items in there.  Perhaps something I could easily remove would be best.  Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
I'll take a picture latter of what I made about 20 years ago, I have an 8' bed, but it holds 6 rods ( that live there all summer)it's under the toneau cover, away from dirt and prying eyes..it keeps the rods tucked to the side and allows the rest of the bed to be utilized..

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2019, 11:50 AM »
I have about 5-6 rods that pretty much remain in the bed of my truck, maybe it depends on bed length? But I have a 5.5 foot bed and they're angled corner to corner so they don't move much. If you have anything close to the bottom of the bed to hook on a bungee. Run it from one side to the other, put all the reels on top, and then run a bungee over? Keeps the rods off the bed and stationary?

I was looking at options online and I think I like this idea the most.  It's simple, inexpensive and removable.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Shouldnt have bought a tacoma!!!   In the cab tips out the rear window.  Not elegant but works.

Yeah I do that on occasion but its kind of pain in the butt if I've got people or especially my dog in the truck with me.  Saltwater reels barely even fit through the little window.

The the tacoma has been great so far.  No complaints.  My Chevy on the other hand had issue after issue.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2019, 11:54 AM »
They can't go in the kayak? Or strapped to it as I'm sure it's a sit on top?

They can but I'm more so looking for a solution for my fly reels/rod that would also work for spinning gear.  I tend to hop from spot to spot in my truck so I'd like an easy way to keep the fly gear from sliding around in the bed.

I appreciate all of the ideas!
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Roccus

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2019, 12:16 PM »
Do with this as you please, this is how I transport, anything in the bed must be secured with a load bar, aside from that, they take far more abuse from being used.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2019, 12:45 PM »
Yeah I do that on occasion but its kind of pain in the butt if I've got people or especially my dog in the truck with me.  Saltwater reels barely even fit through the little window.

The the tacoma has been great so far.  No complaints.  My Chevy on the other hand had issue after issue.

I hear ya re Chevy issues but that's how ever 6 cylinder Chevy is! 

Joe that looks pretty cool!

westernmas

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2019, 12:55 PM »
I hear ya re Chevy issues but that's how ever 6 cylinder Chevy is! 

Joe that looks pretty cool!

It was in inline 5!  The engine was the only thing that didn't have an issue.  Trans replaced, replaced the heat/ac blower 4 times, some air intake pump is located under the truck and I sucked up water into it got replaced, tons of other electrical issues.  Granted I beat the heck out of the truck so its somewhat expected but the engineering on where certain parts were located was just plain dumb.  The width of the truck was just too perfect not to take down snowmobile trails or logging roads or really wherever I could fit it.  If the fish weren't biting the truck was taking a beating.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2019, 12:59 PM »
Do with this as you please, this is how I transport, anything in the bed must be secured with a load bar, aside from that, they take far more abuse from being used.

Thanks, that's a nice setup.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2019, 05:42 PM »
Ended up twisting a bungee around a strap n then leaned my rods over a strap toward the tailgate. It’s simple but worked pretty good tonight.

Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.