FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Roundup and frogs!!  (Read 1658 times)

slipbob

Roundup and frogs!!
« on: Sep 25, 2006, 02:29 PM »
Did anybody see the lastest bit of info in In-Fisherman and Walleye Insider about how harmful the use of Monsanto's product Roundup is to amphibians?  I always had a bad feeling about it but now there's a definite correlation between the decline of frogs and other important aquatic life and the use of Roundup near streams, ponds and lakes.  People will just spray the crap along the shore to kill weeds ???  I never buy or use products like that and don't ever use chemical weed killers or fertilizers in my lawn for that very reason.  As sportsman we need to stop purchasing and using Roundup and other harmful lawn chemicals if we wish to protect the ecosystems we live in.  These nasty chemicals have effects on fish and wildlife that we can't even begin to imagine >:(   So do what you can, and don't buy or use Roundup and try to avoid lawn chemicals or you risk damaging our fisheries!  As fisherman we need to lead the charge against environmental damage and the widespread use of harmful chemicals and try to make a difference starting with our own backyards! 

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
Re: Roundup and frogs!!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2006, 02:31 PM »
I never buy weed killer for the lawn, what the point. If i put that stuff on most of my lawn would be dead.

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2006, 02:34 PM »
As fisherman we need to lead the charge against environmental damage and the widespread use of harmful chemicals and try to make a difference starting with our own backyards! 

Amen! I haven't used them in years; and I'm a landscaper...

Pikeguy

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2006, 02:44 PM »
That's the reason I 'pull' weeds like has been done forever. Think of all the insects and whatnot that get doused in that crap everytime someone sprays it  :-\

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2006, 03:20 PM »
I never buy weed killer for the lawn, what the point
...nothing works on weeds and a good lawn better than a tiger torch.... ;D ;D ;D....or a mower with the deck scraping the roots....Grump  ;D

pizalm

• drop the hammer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2006, 03:42 PM »
...nothing works on weeds and a good lawn better than a tiger torch.... ;D ;D ;D....or a mower with the deck scraping the roots....Grump  ;D
thats how I roll, lol.  ;D The problem with these chemicals is the more you use them the less effective they become. The plants who can survive do and their offspring is also resistant to the chemicals. The companies selling this stuff have a never ending market.

akdg

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2006, 04:54 PM »
We had a big fight about that S--t up in AK.  They wanted to use it on the sides of the roads to keep the brush back instead of cutting by hand/ machines.  >:(  We got that stopped  :thumbup_smilie:  But now the native corp. on one of the islands wants to aerial spray the stuff on clearcuts to knock the alder down to help increase the growth of spruce- and it looks like they are going to get to do it :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:  In NY they spray that crap on almost all the railroad tracks unless someone says someting about it :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:  then they just don't do it by the lakes  :cookoo: :cursing: :cookoo: I'll stop now as my BP just hit an unsafe level :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2006, 04:55 PM »
Because of the extremely porous nature of frog's skin, they will soak up nearly anything. If you have say, bug spray on your hands and handle a frog, or other amphibian, they will die.

kerosenecounty17

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2006, 06:53 PM »
Wow, what a bunch of tree hugging environmentalists!   ;D  Just kidding guys.  I couldn't agree more.

kc17

Fishingking

« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2006, 07:05 PM »
The day the company "Chemlawn" goes out of business will be a good day for our fisheries :thumbup_smilie:  Everytime I see that truck I cringe :-\ 
Yep we have one of those around here they are called "greener World" d**n this stuff stinks whenever they spray it
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

dukhnter8

« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2006, 06:28 AM »
Roundup has a wetting agent in it which affects reptiles and amphibians. If you have to use something around water use rodeo, not that I'm advacating using anything. Some weeds are actually beneficial to wildlife and such like a good example is thistle which most people hate but birds love that stuff. The only thing I use roundup on is certain invasives that no matter how much you pull them out or dig them up they always come back. Invasives like japanese knotweed, purple loosestrife and others. This is actually from people who do the research and have exhausted other means to remove invasive plants.

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2006, 06:53 AM »
Wow, what a bunch of tree hugging environmentalists!   ;D  Just kidding guys.  I couldn't agree more.

kc17

Hey guys, I just came in from hugging a few trees.  No kissing though. :nono:

Hey devil man, as a landscaper, what would you recommend on weeds and fertilizer for lawns?

I mulch my gardens - flower and veggie - as much as is practical/possible.  It keeps weeds down and the few that do come up are easy to pick.  In the flower beds around the house, I use a bark mulch - it looks nicer.  But is the commercial mulch treated with chemicals?  I know they are frequently dyed.  In the veggies I use whatever is around the yard - grass clippings or leaves.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.