FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Species  (Read 2334 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
New Species
« on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:34 AM »
I took a look at the weather forecast on Friday and they were calling for 1-2 foot sea's in the area I planned on targeting. Well that was nothing short of BS come Saturday morning. No joke 10-12' footers here and there and we took a few of them over the starboard side. I would say consistent 6-9 footers.  We still managed some seabass, scup, bluefish, albies and a new species for my buddy's son, a Grey Trigger Fish. All in all it was fun but definitely the roughest I have ever been on with my boat. Fish ate great though!

Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

Re: New Species
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Nice report Mike.  Trigger fish are cool and for me at least are significant in that they usually show when the water is warmest.

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Great work Mike.  I took the more adventurous route....

The weather reports were spot OFF.  I got to the LI sound at about 4:30am to a strong on shore wind.  The launch is in a protected harbor so I knew once I got out to the open water it was only going to be worse.  The waves and chop made it a little sketchy to be out at night in a kayak so I was very careful in the dark.  Once the sun started to come up I finally started getting some hits.  I think i missed a couple of striper bites but then my eels started coming back chopped in half from blues so they may have been the culprit at first.  I moved away from the blues to a spot that is a constant producer.  I quickly came tight to a decent striper that started pulling drag.  I fought the seas and the fish for short battle but the fish was hooked pretty deeply.  I got the hook out, revived the fish for a bit and let him go, only to see it go belly up a minute later.

I wanted to give the fish another chance at survival or at least not to go to waste.  That was a mistake to say the least.  The fish was pushed up against some rocks at this point so getting to it was kind of difficult.  I got the fish in my hand and was holding it in the water to revive it and next think I know the waves are pushing me up over more rocks.  Next wave pushes me up and on top of a rock.  My hull got stuck and I went tipping into the water.  I lost a few material items (glasses, eel cooler, knife and a handful of lures).  The fish ended up dying so i threw it into my kayak and pedaled back to the launch.  I was soaking wet, had a couple bumps and bruises, but I got my first keeper of the year and some table fare for the evening.

Long story short.  A fish is not worth it.  I should have just let the birds have it.  The birds and bait were everywhere when I was leaving so I'm sure I missed out on a shot at hardtails.  Live and learn.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2019, 10:34 AM »
All in all it was fun but definitely the roughest I have ever been on with my boat. Fish ate great though!

So you chummed 'em?  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Great work Mike.  I took the more adventurous route....

The weather reports were spot OFF.  I got to the LI sound at about 4:30am to a strong on shore wind.  The launch is in a protected harbor so I knew once I got out to the open water it was only going to be worse.  The waves and chop made it a little sketchy to be out at night in a kayak so I was very careful in the dark.  Once the sun started to come up I finally started getting some hits.  I think i missed a couple of striper bites but then my eels started coming back chopped in half from blues so they may have been the culprit at first.  I moved away from the blues to a spot that is a constant producer.  I quickly came tight to a decent striper that started pulling drag.  I fought the seas and the fish for short battle but the fish was hooked pretty deeply.  I got the hook out, revived the fish for a bit and let him go, only to see it go belly up a minute later.

I wanted to give the fish another chance at survival or at least not to go to waste.  That was a mistake to say the least.  The fish was pushed up against some rocks at this point so getting to it was kind of difficult.  I got the fish in my hand and was holding it in the water to revive it and next think I know the waves are pushing me up over more rocks.  Next wave pushes me up and on top of a rock.  My hull got stuck and I went tipping into the water.  I lost a few material items (glasses, eel cooler, knife and a handful of lures).  The fish ended up dying so i threw it into my kayak and pedaled back to the launch.  I was soaking wet, had a couple bumps and bruises, but I got my first keeper of the year and some table fare for the evening.

Long story short.  A fish is not worth it.  I should have just let the birds have it.  The birds and bait were everywhere when I was leaving so I'm sure I missed out on a shot at hardtails.  Live and learn.

Thank you!

Yeah, you and I really were not that far apart so you know what it looked like out there. As far as the fish, you made a valiant effort but like you said, its not worth your life for 1 fish. Luckily you got away with just some bumps and bruises and some lost gear, it could have been much worse. Most of my salt adventures are intended as catch and keep although albies and striped bass go back. I like to keep 1 or 2 bass a year to grill and pan sear, the rest are C&R so I know the feeling when a fish goes belly up. Either way, congrats on the keeper and thanks for sharing. The season is not over yet, keep me posted if you plan on heading out this way again.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2019, 10:55 AM »
So you chummed 'em?  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Nope. LOL. I have never chummed in my life.... not yet anyways but I do plan on making a canyon run if I can put a good group of guys together. Hint hint to anyone on here that is interested.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2019, 10:56 AM »
Nice report Mike.  Trigger fish are cool and for me at least are significant in that they usually show when the water is warmest.

Spot on Jon. One reason the hard tail action is on fire right now. Although we had a great outing, I wanted a bone for sushi. Fail.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2019, 11:10 AM »
Spot on Jon. One reason the hard tail action is on fire right now. Although we had a great outing, I wanted a bone for sushi. Fail.

I can confirm the water is very warm.  I think it was warmer than the air on Saturday morning   :P
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Like I said in my text, glad you are ok.  I assume you had a life jacket on.

westernmas

« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2019, 01:20 PM »
Like I said in my text, glad you are ok.  I assume you had a life jacket on.

You bet but it wasn't needed.  Once I tipped I could stand up in the water so outside of being wet and losing a few things it was best the case scenario.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

manitron

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2019, 01:47 PM »
I grew up in the hills other side of the state from the cape. I have never gone out on my own in the salt but I have the utmost respect for those that do.  :bowdown: :bowdown:

deerhunter

« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2019, 01:50 PM »
I stayed in port . knew something was up when I looked out. saw that hacksaw blade on the horrizen

lowaccord66

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2019, 02:47 PM »
I grew up in the hills other side of the state from the cape. I have never gone out on my own in the salt but I have the utmost respect for those that do.  :bowdown: :bowdown:

If its on the bucket list please let me know.  Surfcasting is something everyone should try once in their lives.  Especially now when you can get hard tails from shore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.