FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Favorite eating fish  (Read 16609 times)

TroutFishingBear

Favorite eating fish
« on: Mar 26, 2004, 06:06 PM »
2 part question
          a) fav. trout to eat (excluding brookies)
          b) fav. whitemeated fish to eat

a) brown trout because they are less greasy-tasting than other trout and have a sharper taste.

b) walleye because they taste the same as perch, yet they are bigger and you can cook them in different ways that you can't perch because of their limited size.

Cider

Re: Favorite eating fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2004, 09:56 PM »
Why do you exclude brookies?  Because they are a char and not a trout?

I love brookies as my first favorite fish.  Salmon run a close second.  Rainbows are best smoked, browns are best released but baked if you are hard pressed to eat a trout!  Lakers are good baked whole or blackened on the grill.

Cusk (eelpout, burbot) are awesome fish to eat!  You have simply got to eat one if you haven't already.  Channel cats are delicious and brown bullhead are fantastic.

Yellow perch and walleye are good too.

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2004, 09:06 AM »
Rainbows are my fav. trout and as far as white meat fish go I live on the atlantic ocean so I have my pick of the best. Flounder & haddock
Bubba

livin4ice

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2004, 09:13 AM »
1. Rainbows

2. a. Walleye  b. perch

icefishnh

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2004, 09:15 AM »
there's nothing like a fresh fillet of bass(esp caught through the ice)...fry em up then spirinkle salt and pepper on it....o man im getting hungry for fish!!!
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2004, 06:48 PM »
Why do you exclude brookies?  Because they are a char and not a trout?

Because I thought that everyone would pick them because, obviously, they taste the best to most people, so I wanted varied results.

reubenpa

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2004, 08:26 PM »
haven't been able to eat a bow or brown that was not stocked a week before, so my fav trout is a laker!!! I am serious, next would be crappie, then perch/gills
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

wny angler

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2004, 09:11 PM »
halubit - haddock-mahi mahi

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2004, 07:30 PM »
a) Rainbows- dont keep to many trout so i havent eaten many besides rainbows.

b) Walleye and all types of panfish.
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

red_eyes

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2004, 08:39 PM »
1.rainbows and natives
2. a)perch b)walleye

Cider

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2004, 09:18 PM »
Cornbread stuffed whole lake trout oven baked in viognier white wine with lemon slices, shallots, carrots, and celery...

It was supposed to be served with long-grain wild rice blend, but we forgot it on the stove!  :P

Can't take credit for the recipe.  If you want to try it, pick up a copy of LL Bean's Fish and Game cookbook.  Look under the lake trout section in the middle of the book.  It is the first recipe listed in this section.

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2004, 09:21 PM »
you guys have to stop posting all the pictures of food your making me fat ;D
  and not to mention all the fish your going to make me start keeping lol ;D
tight lines, chuck

DIRTBALL2

« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2004, 08:07 AM »
(1) Planked Trout. You can use rainbows or browns, but my favorite is lake trout. Fillet the trout and tack it to a small piece of board just long enough to hold the fillet. Be sure you use a board from a non-coniferus tree, otherwise you will get a taste you won't enjoy. Rub the fillet with butter, lightly salt and pepper to taste. Stick the board in the ground right next to your campfire with the top angled slightly away from the fire. While the fish is cooking(10 to 15 min) baste it occasionally with orange juice, to which you have added a small amount of white wine and ground ginger. Test with a fork to see if the meat will flake easily. Then you throw the fish away and eat the board!!!!!!!!!  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) Seriously, my favorite is a nice fat walleye that was still swimming a half hour before you put him in the frying pan. Dip the fillet in beaten egg, roll it in potato flakes and deep fry it in half butter and half bacon drippings. Eat like a king!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                           
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Somers

« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2004, 12:19 PM »
I'm over simplifying a bit here, but

a. any trout (including brookies), as long as they aren't stockies...why all the downs on browns?

b. most white fleshed fish, but eyes, crappies, perch, stripers, fluke, flounder, and blackfish best of all.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:58 PM »
Cornbread stuffed whole lake trout oven baked in viognier white wine with lemon slices, shallots, carrots, and celery...

It was supposed to be served with long-grain wild rice blend, but we forgot it on the stove!  :P

Can't take credit for the recipe.  If you want to try it, pick up a copy of LL Bean's Fish and Game cookbook.  Look under the lake trout section in the middle of the book.  It is the first recipe listed in this section.

Cider, if your doing this cooking I'm going to have to force you to my state and cook for me at gunpoint!!! ;)

Lake trout do taste excellent when cooked correctly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.