FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: smelt  (Read 3578 times)

reubenpa

smelt
« on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:31 AM »
how do you cook those little things and how do you eat them??????   HELP ME  thanks all
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
Re: smelt
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:55 AM »
batter them with egg and flour and deep fry.

reubenpa

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2006, 02:30 PM »
thanks but then what?  do bones soften or what?  I have never done it before thanks all
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2006, 02:32 PM »
you eat the bones and all but the tail is the handle for dippin
OR      [IMG]

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2006, 03:04 PM »
slit their bellies, push out guts, cut off head, wash off, batter, fry, eat whole thing (including the tail), repeat if desired.
the tail is best part, nice and crunchy

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2006, 11:07 PM »
Mac,
I like the idea of the chicken wing sauce. never heard of that. I'll give it a try.  They should be in soon, a friend got a few in Lewiston, but water seems to be abit cold and muddy yet.

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2006, 10:23 AM »
Cut off head, slit from head end to anus, wash out under cold water real well.  I like to shake in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, ect. and then deep fry for 2-3 min. Serve with frys and chessey grits and ta-da, Dinner Served. The bones disappear for the most part, in real big smelt, the backbone stayes...but I kinda like the crunch.

fishryc

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 04:42 PM »
The best way I have ever prepared them in a charcoal smoker; smoked withwoodchip of your choice (apple or mesquite are my favorites)
 Let the coals cool a bit since they only take 45 minutes to a little over an hour to cook,  depending on how big they are. Watch for them to get firm and dry, and with a metallic golden color from the smoke (they'll look like the smoked whitfish you can buy at the store). Add the chips early on since they cook so quick.
 I marinate mine overnight in zip locks with a marinade of half each Soy and Worcestershire sauces, salt, dry hot mustard, and some brown sugar. Once done, they are great dipped in seafood cocktail sauce (catsup with horseraddish).

If I'm gonna fry them (only deep frying recommended, BTW) I wet them in milk, then coat with a store bought powdered fish coating called "Zatarain's New Orleans Tradition Seasoned Fish Fry".
 Dip in cocktail sauce again.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 08:42 PM »
slit their bellies, push out guts, cut off head, wash off, batter, fry, eat whole thing (including the tail), repeat if desired.
the tail is best part, nice and crunchy

Thats the same thing we do here !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.