FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly Rod Carp  (Read 5401 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Fly Rod Carp
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2020, 10:24 AM »
Sits pretty still with a 15 lb off the bow and stern. I fish slack lines anyway. There's relaese clips with bead chains both foreword rod holders. Puts a bit of tension on but allows for movement. I use the rod holders bank fishing.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2020, 06:51 PM »
Think I'm going to head t the creek tomorrow for some bait testing.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2020, 06:54 AM »
Skipped fishing this morning and went to the creek for some carp bait testing. Tried several mixes.
Base mix of creamed corn, bread flour, Kero syrup and corn flour.
Flavored with;
Cherry
Pinaple mango
Banana
And just plain
I used drink flavorings that you can buy in little squirt bottles to add to bottled water.

The other mix was Panko bread crumbs, strawberry jello and creamed corn.

There were no carp in the main pool when I got there. I placed the different baits in different spots but in the same area. After 10 minutes or so they moved in and demolished the Panko mix first. A clear winner at attracting them to an area. After that was gone the worked through all the rest of the baits.

Some  of these slugs are well over 24". I have a couple video clips I'll try to download later.

Interesting test for sure. Gives me more confidence in the pack baits I've been making. I'm guessing the Panko mix dissolved faster than the flour mix did. Once he flour mix softened they were all over it.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2020, 07:45 AM »
Here's a link to to a clip of them feeding.
&feature=youtu.be

If someone can tell me how to post the video directly id appreciate it.

rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: Jun 20, 2020, 02:07 PM »
Dont use the url just copy and paste it.... ;)
 Theres some nice ones in there.....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Jun 20, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Thanks Dom. That's not the best of the videos. I was having trouble getting into YouTube since they changed their format. Been a while since I've downloaded videos.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Jun 22, 2020, 05:24 PM »
Checked the mulberries this morning and here starting to drop. So....I'm ready. Spent some time tying flies today, got the big rod set up...I'm ready to rock and roll.

Several mulberry flies. Foam, estaz, and even osme mop flies. Never tried them  but I thought ..." what the heck"!

Go the GoPro out today to get reacquainted. Might take a couple trips to get a decent video.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Jun 23, 2020, 07:39 AM »
No video just yet. Went one for two this morning.

Big fish though. The net is 24" long....it was probably 28". It's  just starting so stay tuned.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #23 on: Jun 24, 2020, 06:00 AM »
Nice work Bob. Great looking fish. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: Jun 24, 2020, 06:31 AM »
Thanks Bart. It was a beauty for sure. All I could do to land it on my 9 wt.rod. I made up a shorter xxx heavy duty furled leader yesterday. Should make things easier.

My Bride and I are heading to Hemlock Lake for a picnic today. I'm going to check out the carping opportunities for a future trip. I'll be back on the canal in the morning to drop some mulberries.

Finally got the GoPro up and paired with my phone. Had to update the firmware and wifi. What a struggle for a technologically inept old man. Hopefully I can get some decent video.

Rg

bbfrogger

« Reply #25 on: Jun 24, 2020, 08:05 AM »
Nice video - thats got to be pretty exciting !  It reminds me that when I was much younger there were some big lake suckers in the lake we have our camp on, and they used to spawn in a little brook trout tributary you could jump over. In the "bigger" pools there would be up to a dozen of them or more.  They were super spooky and 1 of us would get down stream in the shallows and the other guy would get above the pools to chase them down stream - the water was so shallow their backs were exposed as they went from pool to pool.   The guy in the shallows would try to grab them as they rushed by - wicked fun.  The biggest I got was 31".  They aren't as thick bodied as the carp but are still a handful at that size.  We missed a lot more than we caught and mostly just got pretty wet from all the splashing.....  hahaha

Bartman44

« Reply #26 on: Jun 24, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Thanks Bart. It was a beauty for sure. All I could do to land it on my 9 wt.rod. I made up a shorter xxx heavy duty furled leader yesterday. Should make things easier.

My Bride and I are heading to Hemlock Lake for a picnic today. I'm going to check out the carping opportunities for a future trip. I'll be back on the canal in the morning to drop some mulberries.

Finally got the GoPro up and paired with my phone. Had to update the firmware and wifi. What a struggle for a technologically inept old man. Hopefully I can get some decent video.

Rg

Don't feel bad about the technology thing,  I struggle as well. I do like home videos though, I've taken a bunch and edited them, then you-tubed them. Fun to watch yourself catch fish on a cold winter's night. Unfortunately, my pc's hard drive crashed a while back and I lost my video editing software so I haven't  taken videos in a while. On the other hand, my son's (the younger generation) are pretty good at it and have produced some good ones.  Looking forward to the mulberry hatch video. No pressure.  ;D           

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: Jun 25, 2020, 07:39 AM »
No takers this morning. Cold front probably has them in the shallows. GoPro worked great though. I'm heading for the creek later and will try for some video of creek carp on the fly.

Rg

oatkasut

« Reply #28 on: Jun 25, 2020, 08:58 AM »
I had trouble catching fish yesterday too! 3 hours before a hit. YIKES. :( :( :(

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: Jun 25, 2020, 03:45 PM »
They were sleeping in the stream too. Literally suspended and drifting backwards with the current.

We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.