FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: It Was a Cold and Rainy Day  (Read 800 times)

bogtrotter

It Was a Cold and Rainy Day
« on: May 30, 2021, 05:03 PM »
I went fishing in North Adams for a few hours today.

As the title says (with apologies to Edward Bulwer-Lytton), it was cold (45 degrees) and rainy. 

But, somewhat oddly, the streams levels were not up anywhere nears as much as I would have expected given all the rain that we've been having.

I started on Hudson Brook in Natural Marble Bridge State Park, where I landed a 9" brookie and two 10" browns.

Then I hiked/waded along the North Branch of the Hoosic, from the entrance of the NMBSP to below the Eclipse Mill dam.

I caught one 10" rainbow under the bridge at the lower end of the Beaver Mill parking lot, four more (11" to 13") between the roll dam and the Eclipse Mill dam, and two last ones (both 13") below the Eclipse Mill dam.

Then I did a change up and tried my luck at Fish Pond, where I landed 12 good-sized sunfish and 2 small perch.

(In the course of doing so, I noticed the water in the pond itself felt lukewarm, which struck me as kind of odd given how chilly the air temperature was).

By the time I was done, my insulated hooded sweat shirt had soaked through, and I was shivering. 

But seriously, what's going on with the weather?

It's almost June but feels like a cold day of ice fishing  (but at least then you don't have to worry about rain when it's 20 out).

scooper47

Re: It Was a Cold and Rainy Day
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 06:50 AM »
The Fish Pond water felt warm probably because your hands were so cold.

Ryan51993

Re: It Was a Cold and Rainy Day
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 07:47 AM »
The Fish Pond water felt warm probably because your hands were so cold.
You're right. Some of the surface water temps I've checked have dropped from over 70 to about 55 degrees the last 3 days. But 55 degree water still feels warm on a 45 degree day. I'm curious what effect this has had on the spawning bass, if anything.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.