FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Creek Mouths  (Read 1609 times)

bigr

Creek Mouths
« on: Mar 31, 2020, 05:23 AM »
This is a good time to check out the creek mouths dumping into larger rivers. The creeks are clearing and most rivers are running high. Fish are finding those slack areas and can easily be had right now. I fished a small creek yesterday that dumps into the Wabash and I caught maybe 300 crappie in just three hours. Some were the biggest girls of the year. Bellies are getting real plump. I also mixed in several white bass and felt like I could have caught a few eyes if I fished for them. I know about every kind of fish in the river will be around as long as these conditions continue which on the Wabash looks to stay high for a couple weeks. Do some exploring and find a ditch or creek mouth that's holding fish. Once you find one it won't get any easier. For me there was hardly any casting involved. Just swing the bobber with a jig a foot below and lift right back up with a crappie. 

charlys1954

Re: Creek Mouths
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2020, 09:23 PM »
I must not have been in a good spot Monday, fished the mouth of a small creek that dumped into the Eel at Logansport riverside park. The creek was about 12" wide at the mouth with very little water movement into the Eel so I guess is was almost slack. Was fishing for suckers and nothing not even a creek chub, the creek water was starting to clear up but still lil muddy. Gona try a bigger creek Wed that dumps into the Wabash, may try for crappie while sucker fishing.

Any special color you was using bigr or just anything. Soft plastic minnow or live minnow?
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2020, 05:01 AM »
I was fishing about 16 inches deep and using a blk/chart tube under a jigging bobber. Good luck

charlys1954

« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2020, 08:10 PM »
noon to 4:30 had several bits only caught one sucker 17". This is one species I'm want the small one 10-12", no idea if ones that small are big enough to spawn if not then I'll have to settle for creek chubs for Musky bait.

Tried all over for crappie with float and jig not one bite. Not a great fishing day but a nice day to set on the bank and relax, better than at home watching to tube.

charlys1954

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2020, 05:04 PM »
Smallest sucker I've caught so far was a 13 incher. Put it in my bait tank and will use it 1st trip to Bruce. Also caught 2 7" creek chubs  which will be good to use. First year I've fished for suckers and they are fun to catch so the 9 mile drive to P.Crk isn't much drivin, been there 4 times since last Friday. Talked to a guy who has sucker fished at P.Crk for decades, ask him if small 10" sucker spawn he said not really big enough so I doubt I get any that small during spawn.

I'm still debating(leery) on whether to keep one to eat. I've never ate anything out of a river because of all the crap dumped into them. I remember long ago a guy told me he cleaned a catfish from our local river and condom was in it. If I do it will more than like be a small one, gave 2 away today one over 20 inches.

charlys1954

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2020, 07:47 PM »
Never fished any of the great lakes and if I did I wouldn't eat anything.

I never knew the tippy and Wabash meet so I looked at a map with a satalite view. Maybe move the map around and see if you can see the launch, here's a google map link where they meet.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5161991,-86.7854332,2151m/data=!3m1!1e3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.