FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing near Fort Wayne Indiana.  (Read 1816 times)

Jfuller2010

Fishing near Fort Wayne Indiana.
« on: Jul 18, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Hey y'all I'm moving to Fort Wayne Indiana at the end of this month due to a transfer with work. Anywho I'm looking for some advice on where to fish around Fort Wayne and tips on doing so. I'm from Southwest Virginia and I'm use to river and lake fishing for trout, bass, and catfish (blue, channels, and flatheads.).

rivereddy

Re: Fishing near Fort Wayne Indiana.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2019, 07:17 PM »
Welcome to the Hoosier State, home to 647 walleyes and 15,000 guys trying to catch them.....  Here's a quick overview.  Most if not all of the rivers have fair catfish populations, mostly channel cats and bullheads.  Major rivers can put up some decent flatties.  You've gotta go to the southern part of the state for blues, but some reach biblical
size. For bass, again, the further south the bigger the fish.  There are no native trout in Indiana any more.  There are a few scattered lakes that get a dump of stocker rainbows once a year.  Lake Michigan gives up salmonids and perch, but it's big boat water. Northeastern part of the state has decent pan fishing in the natural lakes.  In keeping with the wishes of this forum, this is rather general.  It is meant to serve as a start rather than to reveal "hot spots".  The DNR website may be helpful as well.

Best wishes,
fish on,

rivereddy

Jfuller2010

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Awesome thank you for that information. Is the fishing any good around the spillways at the base of any of the dams?

RoeBoat

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2019, 12:23 AM »
Yes it is!

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2019, 03:41 AM »
Lots of natural lakes around the fort. Some are better than others and you'll need to put in some time to find the better ones. Good Bass fishing in most lakes with the size being 12 t0 16 until you find a better one then your avg can go way up. Pretty much the same for pan fish. Most lakes have a small avg but you can find some good ones. The search is half the fun. Follow this forum and you'll pick up some direction. Get yourself some ice fishing gear also.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2019, 07:27 AM »
Lots of natural lakes around the fort. Some are better than others and you'll need to put in some time to find the better ones. Good Bass fishing in most lakes with the size being 12 t0 16 until you find a better one then your avg can go way up. Pretty much the same for pan fish. Most lakes have a small avg but you can find some good ones. The search is half the fun. Follow this forum and you'll pick up some direction. Get yourself some ice fishing gear also.

Lots of natural lakes around the Fort?  I can't think of one natural lake.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

RoeBoat

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2019, 08:05 AM »
I think he was suggesting within a reasonable drive.  Every once in awhile I wish I was born elsewhere but it could always be worse!

fishinator

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Move to northwest Indiana. Only places local are willow slough and the kankakee river. Everything else over an hour drive. Complete fishing hell!

Jfuller2010

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2019, 10:12 AM »

Awesome thank you very much for that information. I've never ice fished but I've always wanted to try it out.

Jfuller2010

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2019, 10:13 AM »
dont let him pull your snorkle the north grows big fish also. lol  angola area has the motherload of lakes to exsplore. 

welcome to indiana!

Awesome thank you very much! I'm definitely going to try my best to get on some.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.