FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp bait  (Read 2501 times)

chilly feet

Carp bait
« on: Mar 24, 2020, 11:35 AM »
So what's everyone's go to bait or recipes for springtime river carp?  I've always just used night crawlers. But I'm sure there is more productive baits out there.

rivereddy

Re: Carp bait
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2020, 11:42 AM »
Wheaties with a few drops of imitation vanilla extract. mix with water in hands to a gummy
mess. Round into small blobs about 1/2. "Stays on the hook a long time. Works great on
carp, but I haven't eaten wheaties in about 60 years because of it....

fish on,

rivereddy

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2020, 03:19 PM »
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

chilly feet

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2020, 05:21 AM »
Will definitely be trying some of them! Thanks Bart.

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2020, 10:55 AM »
If you go with Wheaties, try Rasberry Soda instead of water.

fontona19

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2020, 10:50 AM »
I am an avid carp angler, and use many different baits. None are more effective than corn. Another highly effective hook bait is the tiger nut. Unfortunately these are usually found at carp specific outlets. There are a handful in the US, that can be found with a simple internet search. You can find them prepared or dehydrated, which will require a bit of cooking. The benefit of cooking your own is that you can flavor them to your liking. As far as pack bait, classic oats pack is highly effective. It is simply 1 tub or old fashioned oats, 1 can of cream corn, and then any combination of powder jello, breadcrumbs, flavorings, or anything else you can possibly think of. An important note on pack baits is to test them in the margins for breakdown times. A pack ball should "let go" inside of 3 minutes for maximum effectiveness. One of my favorite aspects of carp angling is that you can stop at any convenient or grocery store and load up with many options for bait.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2020, 03:40 AM »
1 cup of yellow corn meal, 1 cup of flour, just enough dark Karo syrup to hold it together. 
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

stitch

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2020, 01:44 PM »
Not to be overly simple but good old fashion sweet corn.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.