FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cleaning jig eyes. Any tricks?  (Read 15955 times)

chris458wm

Re: Cleaning jig eyes. Any tricks?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 08:28 PM »
I seen a tool for that in Walmart and Gander Mountain, it looks kinda like a set of nail clippers in shape and has a point on the one end.  You press it together like a set of nail clippers and the point pushes through the paint.  Other than that you could try a fine drill bit and a drill press.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 05:32 AM »
 :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:  Need to use a fluid bed for better technique with those smaller jigs.  It'll keep the eyes from plugging to start.  Only way to clean them once cured is with a heated probe.  Straightened hook, needle, etc..  I use a larger jig cut off and sharpened.  The head becomes a handle.  Really no need to cure those little jigs.  Phone a friend. ;)
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Trakndwg

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 06:12 AM »
Chuck a finish nail (brad) in a drill. The end of the nail will be sheared off, not conical, so it will act as a reamer. You will most likely have to go through both sided. A jig eye  buster will be harmless to the powder coat, don't bother.

I bet you wont make the same mistake again! ;D
NEVER! :D
"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

Trakndwg

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 06:15 AM »
:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:  Need to use a fluid bed for better technique with those smaller jigs.  It'll keep the eyes from plugging to start.  Only way to clean them once cured is with a heated probe.  Straightened hook, needle, etc..  I use a larger jig cut off and sharpened.  The head becomes a handle.  Really no need to cure those little jigs.  Phone a friend. ;)
If I had been thinking I would have called you first! Duh! I had the jigs, the paint, a couple hours to spare... Who woulda thunk I could get myself in trouble with a little job like painting jigs?  :D
"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

devo

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Here's another time-saver:
Just use a candle or a Bic lighter to heat up the jig, dip in the powder, tap off the excess powder, then heat again and you're all done, no oven to mess with!

OTIS

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Here's another time-saver:
Just use a candle or a Bic lighter to heat up the jig, dip in the powder, tap off the excess powder, then heat again and you're all done, no oven to mess with!

Plumbers torch (propane), works like a charm...   ;)
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Dark Cloud

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Agreed... I dont mess with baking them. I heat and dip each one, usually a dozen then clean each one, then go back through and re-heat over a candle/torch. Almost as durrable as baking. Plus they are usually lost before getting too beat up and also, the beat up ones work just as well. The fish dont care, people do. If they survive till the really beat up stage they get saved for ultra rocky jig eating areas... 8)
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

walleye1

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46 AM »
A little birdie (actually a big Italian birdie  ;D) told me an easy way for you guys to keep the eyes clean. Just put a toothpick in the eye before you dip it. Pull it out after the paint hardens and voila!

devo

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 06:23 AM »
Plumbers torch (propane), works like a charm...   ;)

Yeah, a Westinghouse J-34 would do the trick too, but that's a bit of overkill when all you need is about 200 deg. of heat on a little jig head.  :D :D

OTIS

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Yeah, a Westinghouse J-34 would do the trick too, but that's a bit of overkill when all you need is about 200 deg. of heat on a little jig head.  :D :D

I guess it depends on how many jigs you're painting at once.  I tend to do mine in batches.  I just finished paintting up 10 dozzen heads.  I probably won't paint up another batch for a couple months.

Also, the hotter the head the better the paint sticks and covers evenly.  Even after the initial dip into the powder, a hotter head allows the paint to coat more evenly.

On the down side, those little jigs melt fast!  :laugh:
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Trakndwg

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I appreciate all the help. I ended up fixing the problem with a wood burning kit whith a needle like tip. Worked great problem solved. Next time I gotta remember to plug those eye holes before I paint jigs! 8)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Before I paint I usually stick a bit of toothpick in the hole of the jig, once it hardens I just pull it out and, voila, no paint in the eye.

When I buy jigs that have paint in the eyes I use a small pointy cone shaped head on my dremel tool to open the eyes, works like a charm.

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.