FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bullhead fishing  (Read 8555 times)

62 & Done

Re: Bullhead fishing
« Reply #90 on: Apr 26, 2023, 12:35 PM »
That sounds like fun Mac    I might try that on the family   I'll bet I can raise some eye brows
   I went last night for my bullheads  Sorry no pics I just didn't take the time   It was a very chilly night with the boat being covered with frost by 11 pm  brrr   Good thing I wore my ice fishing suit   Got 11 nice fish plus a couple of those "tasty" carp  It was a little weird that they never really started to bite until 9 or so   Maybe the cold drove them out deeper ?

Mac Attack

« Reply #91 on: Apr 26, 2023, 02:07 PM »

That sounds like fun Mac    I might try that on the family   I'll bet I can raise some eye brows

Here's another.
I think I have posted this in the past on MFF.

Anyway, 10 yrs or so ago we were at my camp on Lake Erie and I had a bunch of the local fishing buddies sitting at my campfire.
We were all laughing and have a few cold beverages while my son was frying up walleye for everyone.
No please be advised that all these guys are walleye snobs!!!
All other fish are thrown back or into the garden.  All other fish!!!!
(Jimski - you were at this  ;) )

Anyway, Jeff comes up to me quietly and says we were all out of walleye fillets.
I told him to quickly thaw out the silver bass we had in the freezer and do it on the open fire like we always did in this fish grate thingy that holds the fillets between 2 wire mesh screens while you are cooking it.
After he did this, he took the fillets and tossed them all in Franks and butter, like you do with wings, etc.
We served them with ranch dressing instead of blue cheese because the ranch is runnier and doesn't ear apart the piece of fish as easy as blue cheese dressing does.
These guys ate these silver bass like they were starving ravenous dogs.  lol
Afterwards, I told them all they ate silver bass.
That Jeff had run out of walleye long ago.
To this day, some of those guys still don't believe me that they ate silvers.

Moral of the story -

I can turn walleye fillets into fishy strong-tasting food simply by not processing it properly.
However, I can turn typically stronger tasting fillets into something edible by taking some extra time in the up front prep.
Bleed your catch immediately and get it on ice is probably the single most important thing you can do to get nice tasting fillets.
Trim the belly fat and lateral line, where the fats and oils reside.

Have fun.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #92 on: Apr 26, 2023, 02:37 PM »
I’m happy with a cooler full of bullhead.

2 hours from 1:00-3:00 this afternoon. Night crawlers. Only took 16 crawlers….caught 20 fish.. Good thing I didn’t take more bait. I’d still be there I guess.

I’ll fillet some and leave some on the bone. Not much I like more than bullhead fillets blackened on the Weber. Pan fried is great too….just not too often.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #93 on: Apr 26, 2023, 04:01 PM »
I wish my fish would bite during the daylight as I love my sleep   I've anchored 2 hrs before dark and narry a bite till pitch black  go figure

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #94 on: Apr 26, 2023, 04:11 PM »
It’s a pond that’s part of a local creek system. Only 3-4’ deep. Been fishing it for 20 years. Experience told me right  now is prime time. And, I happened to have the day off from the golf course.

Win….win!
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

greensider

« Reply #95 on: Apr 26, 2023, 05:04 PM »
Nice haul

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #96 on: Apr 26, 2023, 06:44 PM »
i have  two really good  day time  bullhead  places   it's fun  because  no one is  around  and it's a  whole lot warmer
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #97 on: Apr 26, 2023, 06:54 PM »
No kidding Trap. Nothing but the birds and the mink.

TomFish

« Reply #98 on: Apr 27, 2023, 08:11 AM »
A guy perch fishing near us last weekend caught a few GIANT bullheads. They looked like channel cats their heads were so big.

I haven't targeted bullheads in a long time, but we usually hook a couple while perch fishing shallow.

62 & Done

« Reply #99 on: Apr 27, 2023, 10:51 AM »
I like GIANT bullheads

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #100 on: Apr 27, 2023, 01:55 PM »
I have more than enough for this season. Back to the fly rod and gills for me.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #101 on: Apr 27, 2023, 03:41 PM »
Fish…it’s what for dinner.

Danged tasty!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #102 on: Apr 27, 2023, 05:01 PM »
I  LIKE THE  SMALLER  BULLHEADS  FOR  EATTING   BUT THATS  JUST ME
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

62 & Done

« Reply #103 on: Apr 27, 2023, 05:52 PM »
I had them last night with a glass of good wine and some sweet potato fries     I love this country

gotagetm

« Reply #104 on: Apr 27, 2023, 05:54 PM »
Bob
I'll have to get your way of blackened bullhead on grill...as I've said not much a fan of them but I'll try that and see what happens

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.