FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: outboard motor sizing  (Read 11489 times)

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
outboard motor sizing
« on: Mar 18, 2009, 09:51 AM »
i have a 12 and a 16 foot aluminum boat that I would like to put an outboard on?  what size outboard would I need to be able to get around in a reasonable amount of time but also not so much that it would sink back end of boat.  I use an electric trolling motor now but it just doesn't do the job, and i always worry about battery dying and having to row back across lake. I was looking at maybe a 3-4 HP, but I don't know.   Mostly be taking it out on the finger lakes in new york for those who know them.  thanks

floatinwoody

Re: outboard motor sizing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2009, 12:52 PM »
really depends on the boat, but the small 12' tinny should do well with a 6 or 7.5hp. The 16 footer.. Is it an older closed bow with steering etc? or is it an open v hull type..I have a 50 horse merc on my 16'mirrocraft closed bow. On an open type, depending on weight, 18 should push nicely..Just rough ideas, but you wont be thrilled with a 3 horse.

tucker

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2009, 01:00 PM »
its a flat bottom open boat.  Thanks for the info.

gunner

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I would be very careful of having a flat bottomed boat on the finger lakes when the wind comes up. Some of those lake get nasty in a hurry.

tucker

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2009, 01:46 PM »
thanks for the advice.   :thumbup_smilie:  that is one reason for the outboard, if weather starts getting nasty I can get out fast, instead of rowing.

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2009, 01:51 PM »
I agree w/ the 6-7 hp for the 12'
and maybe 15 hp for the 16'

It also depends on the weight of the moters.
older ones are much heavier........ :flex:

Good luck !

BASSMAN
Otis & Capt. Bassman          Bay Striper                         6lb.Larry                           River Rainbow

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2009, 07:27 AM »
9.9 would be a good choice for both boats  i been looking at those briggs  motors there cheap ! make a nice back up motor to have
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

junior88

• Captain Insano Shows No Mercy !
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2009, 06:43 AM »
Im pretty sure most boats are tagged with the max. hp rating along with the persons and entire weight. They can be quite different for boats of the same length. I owned a 12 ft starcraft that had a 7.5 merc. and it scooted pretty well. That motor weighed about 75 lbs. Now my 9.9 is a little over 100 lbs. The motors really get heavier at the 20 hp and up rating.

woodfolks

• woodfolks.com
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2009, 06:54 AM »
I have qa 14 foot aluminum mongumerywards
I use a 5 hp 4 stroke
it works great.
Some ponds and lakes in the Adirondacks have a 5 hp max on them

KingPerch

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2009, 03:59 PM »
I'd go with a 454BB chevy with big cam, headers, blower, with alcohol injection!!!LOL ;D Probably a 9.9 would work better on that 12' boat.  :)--KingPerch
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

brokenline

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2009, 04:21 PM »
i have a 5.5 on my 13 open v hull and it goes about 10mph i used to use a 30lb trolling motor to get around and once the wind came up your screwed!!!  occasinally use  a 25 hp chyryslter on it just for fun ;D ;D
still waiting on free willy

Breamin

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2009, 06:45 PM »
I got a 5hp 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton last year and it is GREAT on my 14 ft flat bottom. Sure a 7 or a 9.9 would be better and get the boat around faster but price was a big factor and I think its hard to beat the price of this motor if you want to buy new (~$830 w/ shipping). I believe both Cabelas and Basspro carry it, I got it from Cabelas. Only thing is its air cooled so its as loud as a lawn mower. I use it on a lake in southern Ontario that is a bit larger than Honeoye, I would not hesitate to take it out on any of the Finger Lakes on a reasonably calm day

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2009, 01:40 PM »
I'd go with a 454BB chevy with big cam, headers, blower, with alcohol injection!!!LOL ;D Probably a 9.9 would work better on that 12' boat.  :)--KingPerch
[/quote

GOOD ONE, KINGPERCH !  ;D :clapping:

BassMan  . . . . . .
Otis & Capt. Bassman          Bay Striper                         6lb.Larry                           River Rainbow

tucker

« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2009, 01:57 PM »
i was thinking of a 9.9 but the pricing are crazyr.  the ones i saw were $2000, a bit above my expectations.  I have points to spend at basspro so I was looking there and may have to wait to build up some more.

KingPerch

« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2009, 11:43 AM »
[/quote

GOOD ONE, KINGPERCH !  ;D :clapping:

BassMan  . . . . . .
I thought you guys would like that!! :)--KingPerch
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.