FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 4457 times)

FishCrazy14

Help!
« on: Aug 14, 2004, 08:07 PM »
Like an idiot, I kept my only two keys to my boat on the same ring as my car keys without leaving a spare anywhere. My boat keys fell off somewhere and now I'm stuck with nothing. The boat is a 1979 Cain Cutter and I have no idea where/if I could get a key to it. My grandpa suggested buying a new ignition and thought it might be around $20 but didn't really have any real idea. Anyone know what I can do?
Brandon

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2004, 04:36 AM »
You may as well buy the new ignition switch and keys....the other one is 25yrs old anyways.

Just a thought,
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2004, 08:48 AM »
FishCrazy
If you can get the ignition out of the boat, take it to a locksmith and he should be able to cut a new set of keys off the numbers inside of the ignition lock. this might be a lot cheaper than buying a new ignition. Just remember to draw a diagram of the wireing so when you put it back together all will be right. Then have him make a 3rd key to keep in the house incase you loose the others.
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

MikeVT

• Wishin I was Fishin!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2005, 12:26 PM »
Good call Coldfeet - any experienced locksmith will be able to cut a new key.

Bigfish57

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2005, 07:25 PM »
I start my early 80's Merc with a regular screw driver. Not exactly theft proof but stil was cheeper and easyer than buying a new ignition.
Anthony

daffydone

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:06 PM »
if you are looking for theft proof, try using a 12 volt cigg.lighter, wire your ignition to on. and then wire it into the a toggle switch,  and then wire it into the lighter( not nessacerly in that order) that way all you need to do is plug in the lighter, flip the toggle and your off and running. just my 2 cents

Capt. Travis

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2006, 08:40 AM »
an ignition switch is between $25 & $35 dollars.   They usually come with two or three keys...   By the time you have a locksmith custom make you a few keys you'll have spent 15-20 bucks...  For the few extra dollars I would just pop in a new ignition and not go through the trouble of the smith... After 25 years the old switch is probably not in the best shape anyhow...    Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to swap them out.

You know that tickle in the bottom of your stomach when the land fades to a thin black sliver and winks out of sight altogether.... Yea, I'll have some more of that.

Pikeguy

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2006, 09:17 AM »
RG and Capt. Trav are right. Junk the old switch. If it were me and I had new keys cut I would bet money that within 6 weeks the old ignition would go to he**  :-\ That's my luck anyway ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.