FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dan Hole Pond  (Read 5144 times)

Jack1972

Dan Hole Pond
« on: Oct 08, 2019, 01:11 PM »
I know there is a lake specific forum but it doesn't seem to get the action so I'll ask my questions here.

Going camping here next September & have a few questions that I'm hoping can get answered.

1. What kind of fish are in Little Dan Hole? Couldn't find a bathy map on the F&G website for it.
2. Am I asking to get killed taking a kayak into the middle of Big DH?  I won't have my boat, just camper & kayak.
3. Do I stand a chance of catching lakers or salmon in mid-September by jigging or casting?  I'll be in a very small kayak without my full arsenal.

zwiggles

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Dan Hole Pond
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Caught one of my most memorable lakers at Dan Hole:

90 feet of water and 10 colors out :o :o :o :o :o

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Looking at that map I honestly don't know how they got an average depth of only 57 feet. It must by that really shallow water on the west end.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2019, 01:45 PM »
You won't have any issues with a kayak on Big Dan Hole. There is almost no issues with wind since it's surrounded by steep hills.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Jethro I read somewhere that in reverse of other species small lake trout are found deeper than their larger counterparts to avade predation. Any truth to that?

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Jethro I read somewhere that in reverse of other species small lake trout are found deeper than the larger counterparts to avade predation. Any truth to that?

The Maine bios have done study’s on Sebago Lake which would indicate this is accurate. I also think they based their study off of similar results from the Great Lakes.

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2019, 02:52 PM »
Caught one of my most memorable lakers at Dan Hole:

90 feet of water and 10 colors out :o :o :o :o :o

10 colors of lead...... I think I’d rather try to swim down there and catch a fish  :wacko:

Did you even see it hit or know it was on until you got it to the boat?

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Jethro I read somewhere that in reverse of other species small lake trout are found deeper than the larger counterparts to avade predation. Any truth to that?

Seems accurate from my experience.

Hottuna5150

« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Seems accurate from my experience.

X3 It seems amplified in lakes with minimal bathymetric structure as well.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2019, 01:11 AM »
You won't have any issues with a kayak on Big Dan Hole. There is almost no issues with wind since it's surrounded by steep hills.
Interesting.
I've heard and seen just the opposite at Big Dan Hole.
The wind can funnel down through those hills and be treacherous!

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Interesting.

Speaking of wind funneling down through hills at the risk of repeating myself my dad and I had the coolest thing happen to us on Rainbow Deadwaters just south of Rainbow Lake in Piscataquis county one day. (North of Nahmakanta Lake, Maine). Drifted down to one end of the lake in a canoe dragging small twister tail panfish jigs for brook trout. Got to the end and just before we paddled back, the wind changed 180 degrees and drifted us back again. Then sure enough it changed back again and drifts us to the other end again. I don't remember how many times this happened but it sure made fishing easy. Caught and released many brook trout to 17 1/2 inches with our jigs swimming just off the bottom as we drifted. I think max depth was 15 feet with an average of a little less.

Jethro

« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Interesting.

I've fished it a lot and it's never been bad, but I am sure there can be weather that will make that lake roll with the best of them. It's at a bit of elevation so you may be right, but it's not very big. There is basically no place on the lake that you can't paddle to shore in less than 5 minutes.

10 colors of lead...... I think I’d rather try to swim down there and catch a fish  :wacko:

Did you even see it hit or know it was on until you got it to the boat?

I did see it hit! I saw the rod take on more drag but I thought I hooked a stick or weed on the bottom or something, it wasn't until I got to the leader that I figured out it was actually a fish.

Jethro

« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2019, 09:51 AM »

Makes sense to me, but I am no expert. Although I should be an expert because catching small fish seems to be all I seem to catch :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.