FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: seems every september  (Read 2242 times)

fishlessman

seems every september
« on: Sep 17, 2018, 09:26 AM »
we catch one of these fishing deep water for salmon

JDK

Re: seems every september
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2018, 12:09 PM »
That is a big sac-a-lait.

# SAND

fishlessman

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2018, 12:50 PM »
anyone have an idea what a sebago 15 plus incher weighs, it looked to be 2.5 to 3 pounds

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2018, 12:57 PM »
I can't say for Sebago, but as a taxidermist I mount lot of large black crappies to 18 1/2 inches every year with one monster several years ago that was 20 or 21 inches.

Typically even a stout fish like the one in the picture @ 15 inches is somehwhere in the 2 1/4 pound range give or take from my experience. A female full of eggs in the spring could be little more.

Believe it or not the 20 or 21 inch crappie was only 3 1/4 pounds as it was an old lean fish.

I love it when fish species are not where you expect them.  Just took in a large walleye that decided that shallow water in the lilly pads was it's home mid day in Minnesota. Lady caught it on a buzz bait fishing for bass. I've caught largemouth bass and bluegills down in very cold water with trout as I'm sure others here have. One big gill we caught on a bottom bouncer was in 44 F. water! Apparently it's where the food is!

Anybody ever notice these kinds of fish where you don't expect them tend to be large specimens?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2018, 01:02 PM »
That is a big sac-a-lait.

You live in Maine and you are using the name for crappies they use in Louisiana? There must be story behind that.  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2018, 01:19 PM »
I can't say for Sebago, but as a taxidermist I mount lot of large black crappies to 18 1/2 inches every year with one monster several years ago that was 20 or 21 inches.

Typically even a stout fish like the one in the picture @ 15 inches is somehwhere in the 2 1/4 pound range give or take from my experience. A female full of eggs in the spring could be little more.

Believe it or not the 20 or 21 inch crappie was only 3 1/4 pounds as it was an old lean fish.

thanks, so we can call it 2.25 pounds, never weighed one before

joefishmore

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2018, 02:30 PM »
What did it bite ?

fishlessman

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2018, 02:52 PM »
What did it bite ?

it took a big imitation polar bear hair streamer, pretty sure it was olive over blue over white. about 40 feet down over 150

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2018, 06:21 AM »
anyone have an idea what a sebago 15 plus incher weighs, it looked to be 2.5 to 3 pounds

Not sure about sebago but 16" crappie around me are consistent at 2lbs 5oz -2lbs 7oz and 15" at 1.9- 1.11.
Wicked Wec

joefishmore

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Were any baitfish showing on your sounder ?

fishlessman

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2018, 08:18 AM »
lots of bait before sunrise but by late morning not a spec when we caught this fish. we were catching smaller lake trout at the same depth and a couple salmon around 18 inches in the same area. we did visually see some lakers in shallow warm water, seems to early with the water temps and the bright sun

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2018, 11:12 AM »
we did visually see some lakers in shallow warm water, seems to early with the water temps and the bright sun

visually as in you saw them with your eyes in shallow water? that is very surprising to me.

fishlessman

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:47 PM »
visually as in you saw them with your eyes in shallow water? that is very surprising to me.

it was right on a shallow edge dropping to 30/40 feet, surface temps are still low 70's.  saw 2 boats trolling there saterday, went and checked it sunday to see what they were doing. never seen a bent rod there though. only thing i can think off was bait may have been pushed up there earlier

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2018, 10:30 PM »

it was right on a shallow edge dropping to 30/40 feet, surface temps are still low 70's.  saw 2 boats trolling there saterday, went and checked it sunday to see what they were doing. never seen a bent rod there though. only thing i can think off was bait may have been pushed up there earlier

interesting, thanks.

franklin fisher

« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2018, 04:36 AM »
  I know it's not what you were looking for but, that is a really nice fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.