FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 91 merc problem  (Read 9147 times)

Roccus

Re: 91 merc problem
« Reply #30 on: Jul 26, 2018, 06:40 AM »
i replaced the stator a few years ago. its acting differently then before when it went.  now with the coils, if i flip the 2 uppers with the lower im thinking it would act differently than it is now if one of the lower coils is bad with this motor?  going to run down the gas lines first for problems but that seems to be the next logical step.  probably a job for the late fall as i dont see taking it out of the water til then.  if its a coil it has to be one of the lower two the way its running
Good luck.. seems like you have it under control.

deerhunter

« Reply #31 on: Jul 26, 2018, 07:44 AM »
.. yes..more than the average boat owner..and then some...

I may have a set of coils and a switch box for that 91 merc... I had a 95-115 2+2 that lost a fly wheel and ate the stator and trigger...it was cheaper to buy a used engine than buy a flywheel and ignition system because the flywheel was obsolete and it would require the entire ignition system to be changed.. I stripped the carbs and electrical system off of the motor thinking it was going to fit my 2004 115- 2+2( spare parts not knowing they would not work)... but they changed the electrical system a bit by eliminating the switch box and went to straight CD cols power packs...I'll look and see if I still have the coils and switch box...I also may have a 17 and 19P aluminum prop...I've given some stuff away ( helped a few others in your predicament)..not sure whats left from that motor.. what I do have can be had for the cost of shipping or you can come and get it for free.
I think I have the lower unit off that motor, joe. still working great

JDK

« Reply #32 on: Jul 26, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Come on guys help out fishlessman.  We now know that the unilateral phase detractors cannot synchronize with cardinal grammeters without magnetic flux disturbance.
# SAND

fishlessman

« Reply #33 on: Jul 26, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Come on guys help out fishlessman.  We now know that the unilateral phase detractors cannot synchronize with cardinal grammeters without magnetic flux disturbance.

i have all that figured out, now to get a lobster boat upta 88 mph to get it all to work. im probably going to keep it under 2.5 for the weekend though ;D

boondox

« Reply #34 on: Jul 26, 2018, 02:19 PM »
i have all that figured out,

Great to hear.

stguy

« Reply #35 on: Jul 26, 2018, 03:13 PM »
If I had known you where traveling in time I would have suggested a leak in the plasma field that suspends your flux capacitor, if your flux capacitor grounds out it will cause random and sometimes drastic drops in rpm,  a real bummer if you haven't reached your destination, a part of you could end up in Jordan bay.

JDK

« Reply #36 on: Jul 26, 2018, 05:38 PM »
I probably missed it, but did anyone specify the rate of encabulation at operating temperatures?   If the rate is too low, you may have to install an aftermarket panametric fan.

Sorry to hijack fishlessman...all in good fun.

# SAND

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #37 on: Jul 27, 2018, 09:12 AM »
i have all that figured out, now to get a lobster boat upta 88 mph to get it all to work. im probably going to keep it under 2.5 for the weekend though ;D

If I had known you where traveling in time I would have suggested a leak in the plasma field that suspends your flux capacitor, if your flux capacitor grounds out it will cause random and sometimes drastic drops in rpm,  a real bummer if you haven't reached your destination, a part of you could end up in Jordan bay.

This guy should be able to help you out. I sent him a telegram.

zwiggles

« Reply #38 on: Jul 27, 2018, 11:39 AM »
I was waiting for someone to post that picture

lowaccord66

« Reply #39 on: Jul 27, 2018, 02:00 PM »

Seriously mac you better do more research..

All he needs is the definition of pre ignition/detonation.  Higher octane is less prone to preignition (combustion in the cylinder before the spark is thrown).

A lean burn whatever that is doesnt produce a hotter flame....a lean situation may or may not cause pre ignition.  There are about a zillion variables that go into what cause knock.  So mac is aware a lean knock is a result of combustion prior to ignition.  Its an explosion for lack of a better description...and the fuel does not burn in a uniformed fashion and does so before the piston reaches TDC and before a spark is thrown.  (In severe cases)

When to your second hobby is putting 20+ psi down a cars throat you learn these things very quickly! 

The solution to this boating issue is Joe.  Joe knows!

Roccus

« Reply #40 on: Jul 27, 2018, 02:54 PM »
I think I have the lower unit off that motor, joe. still working great
you sure do... there's a few people still running today thanks to that motor.. I still have the short block...one of these days it's going to bail some one out of trouble.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #41 on: Jul 27, 2018, 02:58 PM »
you sure do... there's a few people still running today thanks to that motor.. I still have the short block...one of these days it's going to bail some one out of trouble.

You are the man.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #42 on: Jul 27, 2018, 03:31 PM »
You are the man.

Id 2nd this if he had 1990 evinrude looper parts!   :)

Mac Attack

« Reply #43 on: Jul 27, 2018, 03:31 PM »
All he needs is the definition of pre ignition/detonation...………………….

I'm a combustion engineer.
40+ yrs.
ME too.

Also built and raced "vehicles" over the years.

Put myself thru college wrenching on engines and transmissions in my dad's auto shop.

I tried to "dumb down" or simplify my response to his original post, as he was incorrect in what he was "trying" to say.

But that's ok.

I'll be busy for a while now.
Out googling sites for "more research".

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

lowaccord66

« Reply #44 on: Jul 27, 2018, 05:20 PM »
It's all fun and games until someone melts a piston Mac. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.