FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518515 times)

SKUNK-MASTER

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1515 on: Aug 04, 2017, 09:30 AM »
21 jars of pickles last friday.....bunch more to harvest........maybe pull some and try to get some more snap peas.......squash plants crowded them out didnt produce much.

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1516 on: Aug 04, 2017, 01:27 PM »
I'd probably hesitate unless I got some crazy good deal on plants.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

zwiggles

« Reply #1517 on: Aug 04, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Rg,
When you say a pickle plant is this a specific kind of cucumber which works better for pickling?

We have tried pickles a few times, but they have not come out well.

Thanks!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1518 on: Aug 04, 2017, 04:51 PM »
Rg, When you say a pickle plant is this a specific kind of cucumber which works better for pickling?
We have tried pickles a few times, but they have not come out well.
Thanks!

They do sell cucumbers for pickling..  The ones I use are bush pickles...
But they are all cucumbers before they become pickles... ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1519 on: Aug 04, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Yeah....you need to pick a thicker skinned cucumber variety like Boston Pickling, National or Salt and Peppers. Most of all, you need to be attentive in the garden. Can't let them go past Prime or the pickles will be soft. Too young and they'll be tough.  Pickles like to hide in the foliage.

Stay with it and you'll get it down.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1520 on: Aug 04, 2017, 07:11 PM »

Pickle production is in full swing here at the MookieDots den!

This batch will be sweet and spicy chips with Hungarian wax and garlic.... I'm already drooling  :w00t:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1521 on: Aug 05, 2017, 05:27 AM »
Looks great Ed...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1522 on: Aug 05, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Looks yummy already DD!

I'll be pickling tomorrow. Today I got the empty parts of the beds turned over and put in sugar snap peas, corvair spinach, some big leaf spinach and the first planting of radishes.

My Son is coming over later to pitch some shoes. There might just be a Heineken and pickle test as well ;D

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1523 on: Aug 05, 2017, 04:45 PM »
I think I may have almost enough garlic to last the winter plus seed for the next year's crop.

I'm getting used to Imgur, but I'm having to re-learn how to use a windows based laptop.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1524 on: Aug 05, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Wow! That's nice!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1525 on: Aug 05, 2017, 06:55 PM »
Happy to announce that the pickle test was a complete  success ;D

Even though my Son kicked my butt pltching shoes.

Now I can play with the "recipe" and add in some of my Jalapeņo peppers and home grown garlic and onions. :w00t: :w00t:

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #1526 on: Aug 05, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Looks yummy already DD!

I'll be pickling tomorrow. Today I got the empty parts of the beds turned over and put in sugar snap peas, corvair spinach, some big leaf spinach and the first planting of radishes.

My Son is coming over later to pitch some shoes. There might just be a Heineken and pickle test as well ;D

Rg
They are fantastic!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1527 on: Aug 06, 2017, 04:03 AM »
Refrigerator or processed?

Secret recipe please, please?

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #1528 on: Aug 06, 2017, 05:20 AM »
Refrigerator or processed?

Secret recipe please, please?

Rg
Ok, so what I do is pretty simple. I use Mrs. Wages as my base, but don't follow it to a T. I use less of the seasoning and vinegar and more water. So if I do a full packet = 10 pounds I do 3/4 of the seasonings 7/8ths of the vinegar and an extra cup of water. Then I throw 2 tablespoons of our dehydrated pepper blend, crushed red is half as hot, so use 2x as much. Then each jar gets 2 tsp of agave, and 1 of sugar. It says process 10 mins, I do 8. They don't last long enough to get bad. When I'm harvesting fresh peppers, Hungarian and Japs, I slice a half cup and throw them in in place of the dehydrated ones. The fresh peppers go in the jar with the pickles, the "En Fuego" goes in the brine to disperse the heat evenly  ;) I'm gonna play around with some fridge pickles next time.

drowndin dots

« Reply #1529 on: Aug 06, 2017, 05:25 AM »
Ok, so what I do is pretty simple. I use Mrs. Wages as my base, but don't follow it to a T. I use less of the seasoning and vinegar and more water. So if I do a full packet = 10 pounds I do 3/4 of the seasonings 7/8ths of the vinegar and an extra cup of water. Then I throw 2 tablespoons of our dehydrated pepper blend, crushed red is half as hot, so use 2x as much. Then each jar gets 2 tsp of agave, and 1 of sugar. It says process 10 mins, I do 8. They don't last long enough to get bad. When I'm harvesting fresh peppers, Hungarian and Japs, I slice a half cup and throw them in in place of the dehydrated ones. The fresh peppers go in the jar with the pickles, the "En Fuego" goes in the brine to disperse the heat evenly  ;) I'm gonna play around with some fridge pickles next time.
Oh, I did throw a head of garlic sliced between 4 jars, should have done 2 it didn't reaal come through in the pickle. The garlic itself is fantastic though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.