FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 519105 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1695 on: Sep 28, 2017, 08:35 AM »
We always freeze our sauces (apple and tomato) in a rectangular cake pan. Once frozen, we pop it out of the pan onto the cutting board, cut it into squares, and then vacuum seal it. Flat squares stack better in the freezer.  ;D

Great idea.
Thanks

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1696 on: Sep 28, 2017, 04:55 PM »
I was thinking about that too.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1697 on: Sep 30, 2017, 06:45 PM »
20's possibly tonight..   That's not good..... :P

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1698 on: Oct 01, 2017, 04:31 AM »
38 here right now. Nice night for a campfire last evening. Pulled all my peppers Friday. Picked up a bushel of Cortlands and a basket of Roma tomatoes at the farmer's market yesterday. Canned up applesauce and today it's salsa.

Supposed to hit 80 again later this week. Then it's a slide into fallw weather.Time for me to start shutting the gardens down  :-\

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1699 on: Oct 01, 2017, 08:49 AM »
39° here. Going to strip the tomatoes then freshen up the little camper for tomorrow's trip to Sebago for the week.   :D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1700 on: Oct 01, 2017, 03:10 PM »
Had 28* this am...   Good thing I covered up....   Picked lots of tomatoes and am in the process of making some gravy...   Tomato sauce to some..... ;)   Got the Victorio out and cranked them through..   Sauce on one side , seeds and skins out the other.....   

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1701 on: Oct 01, 2017, 05:58 PM »
Looking great Dom.

We put up a dozen jars of salsa today.

A dozen jars of applesauce yesterday.

A dozen  jars of sauce last weekend.

Pulled the peppers and tomatoes the last couple days. Used a lot of the peppers in the salsa. Still enough to freeze for soups, chili and stew this winter.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1702 on: Oct 01, 2017, 08:31 PM »
Looks good, Dom. I cranked a Victorio for years. Before that we used the old fashioned food mill with the wooden pestal. That was work! Now we use a kitchen- aide attachment. Works as well as the Victorio only seeds and skins out the end like a little turd,and sauce out the bottom.   :D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1703 on: Oct 02, 2017, 02:47 AM »
Hey Bill,  does the Kitchenaid food mill attach to the Grinder that I already have?

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1704 on: Oct 02, 2017, 05:43 AM »
Your pantry looks good and full Bob..... :thumbup_smilie:

Bill we have been cranking that thing for years and still works great....   I like doing it outside so I can hose everything off...
I will have to see if my wife can get an attachment  for her KA.

zwiggles

« Reply #1705 on: Oct 02, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Looks good, Dom. I cranked a Victorio for years. Before that we used the old fashioned food mill with the wooden pestal. That was work! Now we use a kitchen- aide attachment. Works as well as the Victorio only seeds and skins out the end like a little turd,and sauce out the bottom.   :D

I used the kitchenaide mill to through our tomatoes this weekend, and it is amazing. I saw someone earlier who mentioned the product was kind of soupy. This weekend I remembered we process our seeds/skins three times, and when your done the skins/seeds are dry, and the final product is awesome. Took about 6 hours to cool down after adding veggies, and herbs.

Mac Attack

« Reply #1706 on: Oct 02, 2017, 11:28 AM »
We have the same KA
Works great
There is an electric motor conversion available for it.
Each time I do large quantities like a bushel or two I wish it was electric.  But I still haven't converted it and probably never will.  Works great as I said.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #1707 on: Oct 02, 2017, 11:52 AM »
After watching the first half of the Sunday night football game last night, I decided not to chance the frost and pulled the remainder of my portuguese hot, habanero and jalapeno peppers. The plan is to make some hot sauce with the habaneros and pickle the others

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1708 on: Oct 02, 2017, 04:29 PM »
Dinner from the garden tonight.
Sausage in home made sauce ( no....I didn't grow the sausage)

Zoodles I cooked in chicken broth.

Made for a danged fine supper.

Even have some leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
Rg

zwiggles

« Reply #1709 on: Oct 02, 2017, 04:36 PM »
What’s a zoodle? Zucchini noodles? Looks delicious!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.