FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518632 times)

fishinator

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3435 on: May 28, 2020, 07:02 AM »
I just developed a slug problem this year. Eating the heck out of my cauliflower and broccoli. I set out shallow pans of beer around the plants. They were full of dead slugs this morning. Not sure it's enough but it's not hurting for sure.

gotagetm

« Reply #3436 on: May 28, 2020, 07:26 AM »
They may just be drunk and passed out hahaha

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #3437 on: May 28, 2020, 08:39 AM »
I know 2 kinds of beetles that attack asparagus shoots. One has a metallic blue head and the other is kind of reddish with black spots. Malathion will do the trick. Don't  harvest for a few days after spraying. Doesn't take much. Maybe a tablespoon in a gallon of water. You can try Neem oil first if you like, but I doubt it will rid you of them.

Japanese beetles love the mature asparagus tops. I murder every one I see. Last year they migrated to my potato plants and ate the hell out of them in just a day. Malathion works on the adults very nicely. I mix a weak batch in a gallon jug and use a spray bottle to squirt the buggers right in the face.

I put 3 Bag A Bug traps to the west of my garden last year and filled 6 of the bags with them. I drown them in a bucket of water and off to the dump they go. I'd treat the yard for them , but my neighbors don't so it's a waste of money. The traps controlled the majority of them. Pretty amazing how well they work.

Biggest problem I have around here is slugs. I put down diatomaceous earth but it doesn't last. Gotta get another bag of slug pellets.

Tomatoe plants I bought are really taking off. I'll be transplanting the pickles, cukes, herbs, Brussels sprouts and broccoli on Saturday when the weather is a bit cooler.

Fresh asparagus for dinner again last night.

Rg
Thanks! I’ll give it a shot!! Seems to be a lot of nuisance critters this year...beetles in asparagus, carpenter bees around the shed, raccoons in the trash..where does it end??

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3438 on: May 28, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Well, my traps work anyway.

One way or another.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #3439 on: May 28, 2020, 06:26 PM »
Put a yard and a half of super soil in the beds, gonna use some left over cinder blocks to make a new bed and plant this weekend.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3440 on: May 29, 2020, 03:20 AM »
I've gotta move my starts from the ttrough planter to the garden....TODAY ....after I go fishing.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #3441 on: May 29, 2020, 06:15 AM »
Replanted my zucchini yesterday after it had an incident with a rabbit... Took my morning walk around the garden, Butternut squash is finally up and everything is growing pretty well!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

drowndin dots

« Reply #3442 on: May 29, 2020, 06:31 AM »
I've gotta move my starts from the ttrough planter to the garden....TODAY ....after I go fishing.

Rg
I would plant today as well but with my luck the weather man would be right and we'd get flash floods and Hail lol 🙄

Pequod1

« Reply #3443 on: May 29, 2020, 06:39 AM »

Since I had the time and some extra bucks I didn’t spend going to LA and Seattle to visit kids, I made my Covid garden. I had the posts put in for me but everything else my eldest son and I did.  The best part about the entire month long project was getting to work with my son.  He’s working from home and has the time to stop bye and help.
All the wood is either rough cut hemlock or larch from a PA sawmill. We also had to mail order a galvanized coated wire mesh that is 4’ high and buried 6” deep for the critters.  We are now planting various roses and shrubs around the perimeter.  We also plan on an archway type arbor at the entranceway. I also planned ahead. The paths are 3’ wide for my future wheel chair ::)

drowndin dots

« Reply #3444 on: May 29, 2020, 07:05 AM »
That Sir, is a thing of beauty! 😍😍😍

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #3445 on: May 29, 2020, 07:54 AM »
Pequod1, Beautiful job, it is a work of art!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3446 on: May 29, 2020, 07:57 AM »
Since I had the time and some extra bucks I didn’t spend going to LA and Seattle to visit kids, I made my Covid garden. I had the posts put in for me but everything else my eldest son and I did.  The best part about the entire month long project was getting to work with my son.  He’s working from home and has the time to stop bye and help.
All the wood is either rough cut hemlock or larch from a PA sawmill. We also had to mail order a galvanized coated wire mesh that is 4’ high and buried 6” deep for the critters.  We are now planting various roses and shrubs around the perimeter.  We also plan on an archway type arbor at the entranceway. I also planned ahead. The paths are 3’ wide for my future wheel chair ::)

Nice set up!

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #3447 on: May 29, 2020, 08:24 AM »
Beautiful job an the garden and layout, pequod!

seamonkey84

« Reply #3448 on: May 29, 2020, 08:32 AM »
That is a beautiful garden!
Since this thread seems pretty active, I’ve got to ask. Anyone have experience growing blackberries in raised beds? I don’t have any open ground, just going to make a self contained bed and put them along my driveway. I was seeing if I can get away with 12” of soil. The articles I’ve read for growing them in containers say at least 6”, but I’ve read their roots can go 12-18”. Also, how about over wintering them in a bed (zone 5B), Just extra mulch? I am on the lookout for the dwarf variety as well, but the beds would be for 2-3 erect cane varieties.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3449 on: May 29, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Nice job on the garden. Looks very organized. Should be very easy to keep.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.