FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 519146 times)

fishinator

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #5085 on: Aug 30, 2023, 05:57 AM »
Never tried saving pepper seeds. Does that work even with hybrid plants? I know that volunteer tomatoes that pop up from old tomatoes typically have odd shaped/color tomatoes.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5086 on: Aug 30, 2023, 06:01 AM »
Never tried a hybrid. So I’m not sure..
The only seeds I save anymore are from a very small and very very hot Vietnamese pepper I have been regrowing for years a Vietnamese guy gave from the homeland..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

piscesman

« Reply #5087 on: Sep 02, 2023, 05:47 AM »
That's a nice trick Dom. I searched the web for using this year's seeds and came up with an interesting tidbit. They stated that certain vegetables you cannot (illegal) harvest seeds from their "fruits". Patented or something like that. Somewhat taken back but not surprised. The way I see it, if they are that concerned then they can visit me in February and inspect my "garden". The article also stated that it's wise to harvest special order vegetable seeds since the local nursery may not have that variety. I'll post a link.
      Kim
https://www.gardenguides.com/79360-harvest-seeds-fresh-vegetables.html
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5088 on: Sep 06, 2023, 03:55 PM »
Beans are going crazy.been harvesting every day. More coming. Might can some this year. Not a fan of frozen.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #5089 on: Sep 06, 2023, 06:28 PM »
Didn't do beans this year and regretting it. Sounds like yours did well, love fresh beans.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5090 on: Sep 06, 2023, 07:24 PM »
Not too late bud. They’ll do well into November. 3 weeks to harvest.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

cnypanfisher

« Reply #5091 on: Sep 08, 2023, 08:25 AM »

Next years tomato seeds fermenting, these are the Amish pink tomatoes. I did  4 varieties this way last year, and 95% of the seeds popped and grew. Ferment for like 3 days till they stop making bubbles and the gooey stuff on the seeds goes away. Put them on a silicone sheet or something and dry them A few days, then I put them in a zip lock with a piece of paper to act like a dessicant.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5092 on: Sep 08, 2023, 11:07 AM »
Speaking of beans….

First planting is going great, second planting of heirloom varieties are all blossomed out.

Thinned my radishes today and have my herbs drying some before going into the dehydrator.feels like it’s winding down, but, I’m still harvesting.

piscesman

« Reply #5093 on: Sep 08, 2023, 05:36 PM »
That's a great idea for the seeds cny. We are going with less tomatoes next year because we can't eat them all or cook down. Have given lots away too. None of the bigger ones were great according to the wife. She bought 2 on vacation last July and they were great. I told her to save some seeds but not sure if she did or where they are stored.
On a side note to you pepper guys. We have another green bell plant with 6 fruits and 7 blossoms on it. Should we pinch any flowers off to help the fruit grow bigger?? Not much time left in the season with shorter days and cooler nights. TIA.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #5094 on: Sep 10, 2023, 09:35 PM »

Potato harvest 2023. Probably my best year

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5095 on: Sep 11, 2023, 04:22 AM »
Nice…👍👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5096 on: Sep 11, 2023, 10:19 AM »
I’m going to try a fall planting of potatoes for spring harvest. Something new for me.

62 & Done

« Reply #5097 on: Sep 11, 2023, 06:04 PM »
rg I had several volunteer plants come up this past spring. They were all from the penny sized ones that I had left last fall. I don't believe I ever had more than one inch of frost last winter plus the garden was covered with a lot of snow since I blow a lot in that direction. It should work as long as you keep them from freezing- maybe plant them a little deeper than you normally would.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5098 on: Sep 11, 2023, 06:07 PM »
Yeah I plan on setting them about 8” deep with a lot of leaf clippings on top. It’ll be an experiment but we’ll see.

62 & Done

« Reply #5099 on: Sep 11, 2023, 06:19 PM »
So what would eat off the tops of my carrots?  I believe all the rain washed some soil away and something ate all that was showing above the dirt. Ive never seen much for varmints other than maybe a wood chuck or rabbit who gets a quick pain pill from a 22. all the green is still there. my Mrs thinks maybe slugs but I don't know. I can't really see any toothy knaw marks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.