FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout in the Snow Showers  (Read 6601 times)

IcEmAn...24/7

• Toad Time!!!
Trout in the Snow Showers
« on: Apr 06, 2007, 07:09 PM »
Tough day today...Managed 3 trout at Gage.  Interesting weather...Cold, windy, and periods of heavy snow showers.  Can't wait until the weather warms a bit and stabilizes...Especially before my club tournament next weekend!!!

chicagocarpcult

• AKA Chicagill35
Re: Trout in the Snow Showers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2007, 07:34 PM »
Nice Pretty Rainbows there!!!

finfan

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2007, 11:38 AM »
Good job Nate! 

RandyD

« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2007, 04:13 PM »
Those are some beauties!!!!!

blue_gnat

• aka Ice_Fly on Ice Shanty
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2007, 10:34 AM »
Nice looking trout there! I knew they released small ones in the rivers and some lakes for put and take. But I didn't realize they had a population in Gage. I know they are in Oliver but never really fished for them. Shows what I know about trout..... ??? lol

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:58 AM »
Nice looking trout there! I knew they released small ones in the rivers and some lakes for put and take. But I didn't realize they had a population in Gage. I know they are in Oliver but never really fished for them. Shows what I know about trout..... ??? lol

Oliver has browns and brooks now too. Special trophy size limit on the browns of 18 inches if you didn't know.

If you want to target the browns they are more bottom oriented vs. the rainbows that suspend more. I have it from a reliable source recently he had about a 28 inch brown follow his rapala several times to the boat on Oliver.

The browns are more likely to hold over to larger size. NEITA has been planting them and a couple stockings of brooks for several years now into Oliver. The state claims they don't have the production space and won't do it.

Clear near Fremont will get a good planting of browns this year too thanks to NEITA and all the generous donators. If you want this to continue consider becoming a member and/or donating.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

IcEmAn...24/7

• Toad Time!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2007, 05:34 PM »
I have caught a few nice browns in Oliver.  You know when you have one on that's for sure!!!  It's like catching a smallmouth verses a largemouth, those brownies fight so much harder!!!

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2007, 05:52 PM »
I have caught a few nice browns in Oliver.  You know when you have one on that's for sure!!!  It's like catching a smallmouth verses a largemouth, those brownies fight so much harder!!!

I used to fish Oliver regularly back in the late 70's and in the 80's. Saw some monster browns come out of Oliver back then when the state planted them regularly. Put together a 20 page presentation to convince them to allow NEITA to plant them since they wouldn't do it any more. I showed them the returns were actually greater with browns then the rainbows by using their own data.

Did any of you know the first state record brown trout came out of Olin which connects to Oliver? Here's a picture of it and the story:

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

nelsonk44215

• Live to fish, fish to live!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2007, 08:58 PM »
Me and a buddy made our first trip out to gage today. We ended up catching 6 bows with the biggest only being 13.5in. We also lost probably double that due too some awesome aerobatic skills. Little Cleo's were the lure of choice. Good luck to all.

Nelson

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2007, 09:04 PM »
great job on those trout. Its always nice to get a few. and man o man taxidermy that is  huge trout :o

Fishing is life

MIRC!

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Me and a buddy made our first trip out to gage today. We ended up catching 6 bows with the biggest only being 13.5in. We also lost probably double that due too some awesome aerobatic skills. Little Cleo's were the lure of choice. Good luck to all.

Nelson

Did you know Lake Gage is being planted with 50/50 usual London strain rainbows and sterile females produced from eggs from an egg producer called Trout Lodge in Washington state? So far the sterile females have grown faster in the hatchery and it's hoped by planting these two they can be compared and it can be determined if planting the sterile females will produce a better fish for anglers. Theoretically if a fish does not put energy into gonadal development they should put more energy into growth and may even live longer due to a lack of egg reabsorbment.

These are not triploids but some states are planting triploids with good results.

I can't say for sure it the sterile females have already been planted or that will be later though.

nelsonk44215

• Live to fish, fish to live!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2007, 09:53 PM »
I noticed that all the smaller fish we caught had the front fin clipped, which i know they do in Michigan with the trout that they plant, and the bigger one that we got had no fins clipped. I'm not sure if that had something to do with the different stocking or not, just an observation.

Nelson

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:01 PM »
I noticed that all the smaller fish we caught had the front fin clipped, which i know they do in Michigan with the trout that they plant, and the bigger one that we got had no fins clipped. I'm not sure if that had something to do with the different stocking or not, just an observation.

Nelson

I'll find out for you and get back to you.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2007, 04:06 PM »
Nelsonk44212,

Got this from Neil Ledet District 2 biologist:

"London's have an RP clip and Troutlodge have an LP clip.  The tips of some fins of both strains have erosion but you should be able to tell which fin is clipped.  If you are going to fish Gage this year and want to keep track of which fish you catch, let me know and I will send you a form you can use."   

If anyone wants to get a form for Lake Gage contact info is:

[email protected]

or

District 2
Neil Ledet
Fawn River State
Fish Hatchery
6889 N. SR 327
Orland, IN 46776
(260) 829-6241

fisherben

« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2007, 12:50 AM »
How many years has the genetic experiment been going on?And are the sterile females being planted anywhere else? IMHO there are lakes with a faster growth rate than gage, just trying to figure out if it's genes or water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.