FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Still Trying to Catch a Flathead  (Read 8188 times)

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Re: Still Trying to Catch a Flathead
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2004, 08:46 PM »
Very, nice flathead, normally when you get one they are of a good size.
 :clapping: Awesome flathead  :thumbup_smilie:
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #16 on: Sep 19, 2004, 11:30 AM »
Otter nice one ::) :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: I really really suggest mustad ultra point Big gun baitfish hooks 6/0 I tried circles just didn't have the success the mustads are awesome!!!Just like that beauty flathead ;D

Hookset

« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2004, 03:26 PM »
Nice flathead :D.  Caught a couple in Oklahoma when I was in the military.  We used this nasty stink bait stuff in a mayo jar, I think it was called Bobs Stink Bait.  Awful to be around, but worked well on the cats.  They cheat out there, though.  They string a piece of cable across a small bay or inlet and hang about thirty hooks off of it(I think they called it a TROT LINE?).  Bait them all and come back the next day.  Not much sport in that, but it will put food on the table.  Tight lines.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2004, 08:19 PM »
That's a beauty of a flathead. They get pretty big. I know of a 104 pounder that was caught in the Colorado River near Yuma Arizona. The record is 123 pounds I think, caught by a crappie fisherman.

Tyler

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2004, 08:54 AM »
Thanks TH, I'll give the mustads a try.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2004, 10:11 AM »
You wont be dissapointed!! here is what they look like.Ilike the 6/0                                               

Jigwiggler

« Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2004, 03:49 PM »
You wont be dissapointed!! here is what they look like.Ilike the 6/0                                               

They are a good choice.  I have some in 4/0 and 6/0, very pleased with them too.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Stink Bait

« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2005, 04:35 PM »
I use the same type of hook as the Mustad in 6/0 , only a different brand and they work great for live and cut baits. You need to check them periodically when fishing cutbait though because the point can bury up in the flesh of the fish if your not carful, especially if the cutbait starts to get mushy. I have caught quite a few flatheads here in OK and have caught most of them on live nite crawlers. Ocaisionally I will catch one on cutbait but they seem to prefer the live baits.

They do like to fish with trot lines here in OK and limb lines and jugs too. I agree it is not too sporting and would take the fun out of it for me but it is legal for anyone who prefers that method.

I used to fish Sardis Lake 25 years ago when I was a boy. Thanks for posting and for bringing up some great memories.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.