FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fascinating reading about Atlantic salmon in Lake Huron  (Read 2041 times)

taxid

I know it may not apply specifically where you fish, but there were a few things in here I did not know about the species. Very detailed and fun to read if you're a fish geek like me.

Some good reasons they may be better suited than Pacific Salmon, brown trout, and steelhead in the Great Lakes. And of course they were native and quite common in Lake Ontario at one time.

I did not know the smolts are more toleratant of warm temps than steelhead planted in tributary rivers and streams, and less vulnerable to predation than brown trout plantings in the lakes. Apparently they are more opportunistic feeders too, as when alewife numbers are down they don't have any problem eating gobies, yellow perch, even small bluegills (Gull Lake, Michigan), and minnow species. However they seem to be very sensitive to handling. Lake Superior State college releases them right from the raceways directly into the St. Mary's River, which apparently produces a much higher survival rate after planting. Apparently they just pull a plug in the raceways and into the river they go. No better way than that to grow fish in the water they will go into and just pull a plug.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/FR17_552466_7.pdf

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

appleye

Re: Fascinating reading about Atlantic salmon in Lake Huron
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Interesting read, thanks for sharing. Atlantic salmon where just stocked into Lake Oahe, SD this year. Should be interesting to see how that progresses. Reading about guys catching them through the ice makes them very appealing in this part of the world.

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Thanks for sharing the link. It will be interesting to see the results of their study.

If they did develop a fishery for big Atlantic’s in Lake Huron I would definitely make a trip. It seems like Huron is the red headed step child of the Great Lakes. You never here about any fishing from there? Always Ontario, Erie, Michigan, and Superior, or am I imagining this?

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2018, 10:41 PM »
To be honest I kinda forgot it was one of the Great Lakes  :P geography was not a topic I excelled at.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

JDK

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2018, 05:01 AM »
I have seen pictures of Mark Romanack and his son with double digit sized Atlantics from that area.

https://www.fishing411.net/single-post/2018/06/15/Sometimes-Failure-Breeds-Success

# SAND

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2018, 07:45 AM »

Nice read thanks ,

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:27 AM »
I have seen pictures of Mark Romanack and his son with double digit sized Atlantics from that area.

https://www.fishing411.net/single-post/2018/06/15/Sometimes-Failure-Breeds-Success

I think a trip to Huron may be in order. Way easier than going to Russia/Canada/Europe. Probably way less money too.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2018, 12:03 PM »
I think a trip to Huron may be in order. Way easier than going to Russia/Canada/Europe. Probably way less money too.

I'm in.

seamonkey84

« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:46 PM »
Idk how it’s going currently, but a couple years ago there was a post about the salmon in NYs lake George. https://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?board=170.0

Otherwise here in Maine, in some of their native waters, the population seems to be made up of lots of smaller fish.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Idk how it’s going currently, but a couple years ago there was a post about the salmon in NYs lake George. https://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?board=170.0

Otherwise here in Maine, in some of their native waters, the population seems to be made up of lots of smaller fish.

Its going well in LG.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.