FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Last night  (Read 1136 times)

stripernut

Last night
« on: Aug 29, 2022, 08:35 AM »
I have been getting hammered with work and unable to get away to the coast as much as I want (it would never be enough if truth be told), so after working most of the day on my day off I hit the Q for some top water action. The Res is way down from the start of the season and there was not a breath of wind, so I thought the fish would be more active, but the fishing was slow... I landed only one small bass and only had a few blowups. I did not get to fish a long section of the shore as someone was walking along it shining a bright light everywhere... Maybe they had worked the shoreline and were now headed back, but there was little point in fishing it after they had passed. One of the cooler things I saw/heard last night was the wind coming up the res. All evening the res was very quiet with cricket, Whippoorwills, loons, and coyotes the only things breaking the stillness, and then around 10 pm I could hear a distant roar, I only thought it was a low-flying military plane/s for a moment (some nights they "play" for hours over the res.) as I knew the glassy water of the night was over as the wind rolled through the tree and then I could see the reflections of the stars blur out in the distance as the wind raced over the water. It was warm and buggy enough last night that it was a welcome relief as it washed over the area I was fishing. Not the first time  I have heard the wind coming but I still find it interesting every time it happens... I have even been on the ocean and have heard it coming with the only sound it was making was the ripples in the water. I think the next trip to the Q will focus on some deeper water areas as the shallow water that I was fishing, was not producing like normal...

lowaccord66

Re: Last night
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2022, 11:22 AM »
Sounds like a nice night!

PikeKing23

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2022, 02:07 PM »
Cool. Don't think that has ever happened to me.  No lights when you night fish, huh?

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2022, 03:54 PM »
Not when I am fishing and I use a red light when I am walking the shoreline if any at all. The red light does not destroy your night vision. In over 45 years of fishing the Q at night it was, only once so dark you could not see... It was when a BIG storm was rolling in and in that 10 min. before the heavens opened with a huge downpour, the bass went crazy slashing and hitting the jitterbug on every cast. When I say dark I mean you literally can not see your hand in front of your face. Only ever experience true "black" outside one other time, while riding a bike down a country road... Glad for the sand on the sides of the road as I slowed way down and rode by brail, turning each time I heard the sound of sand under my tires!

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Cool. Don't think that has ever happened to me.  No lights when you night fish, huh?

Have spooked big stripers shallow with my headlamp. 

stripernut

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2022, 02:53 PM »
Many many years ago I could be fishing Joppa Flats at night and be the only boat out there (miss those days). When it was time to head in (only did this a few times) we would take a bright light and shine it over the water and watch hundreds and hundreds of stripers jump clean out of the water...
Whenever legal I fish without a light.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2022, 06:14 PM »
x2 skimming floating repales on the surface. Hookups every cast

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.