FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga 2021  (Read 109691 times)

62 & Done

Re: Great Sacandaga 2021
« Reply #1125 on: Mar 14, 2024, 12:24 PM »
I tried casting a few jigs in front of a stream inlet on the south end yesterday. Got a couple of shorts and a few rock bass. Was a nice afternoon to be out.

lowaccord66

« Reply #1126 on: Mar 14, 2024, 07:38 PM »
I tried casting a few jigs in front of a stream inlet on the south end yesterday. Got a couple of shorts and a few rock bass. Was a nice afternoon to be out.

Nice job!

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #1127 on: Mar 15, 2024, 05:56 AM »
62, we sure have had some nice weather, last day for walleye and pike.....h2l

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1128 on: Mar 26, 2024, 05:18 AM »

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

62 & Done

« Reply #1129 on: Mar 26, 2024, 09:18 AM »
There are many miles of that old rail road bed in the depts of the lake   It can produce some eyes if you know how to find it

beerbellybob106

« Reply #1130 on: Mar 29, 2024, 05:03 PM »
Picked up a new livescope setup for the boat excited to try it out this summer on the walleyes. Want to get into jigging more, 95% of my fishing now is bottom bouncing harnesses

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1131 on: Mar 29, 2024, 05:12 PM »

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

piscesman

« Reply #1132 on: Mar 29, 2024, 07:23 PM »
Too bad there aren't any topo maps of the Sacandaga complete to show the contours. Unless there are and kept in secret...........
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

beerbellybob106

« Reply #1133 on: Mar 29, 2024, 07:46 PM »
Too bad there aren't any topo maps of the Sacandaga complete to show the contours. Unless there are and kept in secret...........
      Kim

Navionics has a pretty good map

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #1134 on: Mar 30, 2024, 05:56 AM »
BBB, "livescope" there goes all the fish....lol Maybe for a boat ride I would show you a couple spots. I have seen most of them when I had a paper graph.

Kim, BBB is correct Navionics is about the best I have seen. I study areas during the Winter off my desktop that may be good, then hit them during the Summer. I have found a few fish producing areas that way.

As you may know the lake is at normal high water level already. The gates usually aren't closed until about April 1st. This past week it didn't really come up and most of the snow from last weekend is gone....h2l

iceman260

« Reply #1135 on: Mar 30, 2024, 07:29 AM »
I haven’t used it but hummingbird lake master vx premium is supposed to show all the contours. A boat ride with H2l would be a better option. Can’t beat experience.

62 & Done

« Reply #1136 on: Mar 30, 2024, 09:38 AM »
A few decades back before they cared about tourists and such, the lake was drawn down to the bare bones one fall. An old friend and I took a couple days with a camera, plenty of scratch paper, and a compass. No electronics back then. We focused on the southern basin and filled a 3-ring binder with as much intel as we could for a couple of untrained surveyors. I remember walking for miles. It was by no means as accurate as what we have today, but it worked, and we put fish in the boat. My buddy passed awhile Back, and he took the binder with him. Wish I had it for old times' sake.

piscesman

« Reply #1137 on: Mar 30, 2024, 03:25 PM »
For this time of the year compared to the last 2 years the level is over 5' higher. I asked about topo maps because of the old pictures posted of railroad tracks and steep drop offs. I know my area but nothing more than 2 miles+ away. I've heard of Navionics but don't know what or how I would use it. May have to do some research.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

62 & Done

« Reply #1138 on: Mar 30, 2024, 05:50 PM »
For this time of the year compared to the last 2 years the level is over 5' higher. I asked about topo maps because of the old pictures posted of railroad tracks and steep drop offs. I know my area but nothing more than 2 miles+ away. I've heard of Navionics but don't know what or how I would use it. May have to do some research.
      Kim
I'm with you as far as the Navionics is concerned . me and modern electronics don't get along much. Good maps are not easy to find now-days

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #1139 on: Apr 01, 2024, 06:17 AM »
62, I still have a notebook with "hot" spots drawn, couple of them are still pretty good.

Piscesman, most of those pictures of the railroad show it coming from Mayfield, up south of Cranberry Creek to Sacandaga Park. Most of that end and the "main" lake basin was a swamp before the lake was formed. Most of the "steep" drop offs are along the river bed. Down your way has a lot of drop offs, wish I had time to check them out. There has to be some very good "hot" spots for a jig fisherman, they just have to be fished and "picked" apart. It doesn't take much to hold walleyes in one spot. I have fished spots that, IF you are 8 to 10 feet off of it, no fish. I often wonder what it would be like with "SPOT LOCK"....H2L

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.