FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly fishing beginner----->HELP!  (Read 3730 times)

King Fisher

• Born to FISH forced to WORK!
Fly fishing beginner----->HELP!
« on: Jun 13, 2006, 08:05 PM »
I just got a rod/reel combo for a gift.  The Rod is a "Martin Mill Creek 6 weight", the reel is a "Martin Mountain Brook 56" and it is 9 feet long.  I dont know much about it but can anyone give me any advice on it?  It is still brand new and I was thinking about taking it back to "upgrade", but I dont know if it is totally necessary yet.  I want to fish for trout (the main target is rainbows), mainly on lakes, ponds and the occasional stream.  I want something that could catch a near 10lb fish but I also want something that can feel a 8" trout as well.  Money is not really a problem right now (I'm not married so help me while I can be helped, he he) ;), if I was to upgrade I would probably invest another $100-200 or so.  Any advice on buying a floating tube or floating device would also be much appreciated and what kind of chest waders should I buy?  Is there any really good style, model, brand, etc??  Any other help/info/tips/tactics/anything else.... would be great!!  I am almost caught on this addiction but I need someone to set the hook!!  Thanks guys and gals! 8)

devil-man

Re: Fly fishing beginner----->HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2006, 09:11 PM »
I just got back into fly-fishing recently and the best advice you will hear is to practice!

I know nothing about the rod you have, but take it out and cast. Ponds work well.  ;)

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2006, 10:00 AM »
a six weight is the best all around rod ever made...you'll be able to have fun with little guys..but also be able horse in a fish with serious shoulders.. as far as tips...d-mans right...cast...cast ...cast...and cast some more...i dont know about your area...but in this area if i see a flyangler struggling ..i will offer any assistence i can..im sure its the same out there...i promise you someone will be willing to help out...theres also tons of classes and such available..you just have to look...do alot of reading as well...my personal favorite for stream trout...is kelly gallops "modern streamers for trophy trout". thats a little advanced but its a good read and gives you good stream reading tips....as far as a float tube..i own a white river open front float...love it..its cheap and has held up..you can spend alot more later..right now ..its all you need..its available at basspro.com and alot of other dealers as well....

the best tip i can give a biggener is learn how to tie loop knots...keep you leaders long...and never cut your fly line.lol..
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

BlindSquirrel

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2006, 01:34 PM »
I looked that combo up; it seems to be a lower end entry model.  If money in not an option you will probably be more happy with an upgrade.  I started with a lower end rod and hated it, but I did not realize how much I hated it until I got another rod.  It was like night and day in the ease of use.

You don’t have to go nuts and get a top of the line rod.  The 5wt. that I am using now is a $150 store brand, that I got on sale for $75 and it performs just as well as my brother-in-law’s $600 brand name rod.

But with what ever you decide, as stated before, practice you casting.
How shall I amuse myself today?

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2006, 02:36 PM »
I looked that combo up; it seems to be a lower end entry model.  If money in not an option you will probably be more happy with an upgrade.  I started with a lower end rod and hated it, but I did not realize how much I hated it until I got another rod.  It was like night and day in the ease of use.

That hit it on the head.  I learned on a $34.99 combo from K-mart.  I think it was a West Bend.  I practiced for a few months before I got a chance to go home and fish with dad.  We stepped out into the yard, he made two false casts with it and chucked it into the lilacs.  No BS.  Squirrel is right.  The lowest end combos are pretty bad, but you don't have to drop major cash to feel major improvments.

I also agree with everyone that practice is key, but only quality practice.  You've got to have a plan and a little knowledge to make all but the most meager of progress.   If you just go out and start flailing around you're not doing yourself any good at all.  Find an experienced caster near you, get a video, or enroll in a clinic.  You don't need the worlds greatest casting instructor, just a nudge in the right direction.  If you engrain bad habits into your cast early, you'll have a tough time getting them out later.  Trust me, I still fight with tailing loops. 
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

devil-man

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2006, 02:50 PM »
I also agree with everyone that practice is key, but only quality practice.  You've got to have a plan and a little knowledge to make all but the most meager of progress.   If you just go out and start flailing around you're not doing yourself any good at all.  Find an experienced caster near you, get a video, or enroll in a clinic.  You don't need the worlds greatest casting instructor, just a nudge in the right direction.

Agreed- My buddy Jim has been my mentor.

King Fisher

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2006, 09:00 PM »
I am planning to return my combo and get credit for it which i will turn into something a bit nicer.  I am planning to get something mid grade, I dont want to invest 1000 dollars yet, I want a good feel for what quality feels like.  I'm not one to buy something cheap to find out that I have to "upgrade" later.  Would about $400 do the trick?  How much should I spend on the rod and reel?  Should I buy the same brand rod and reel or should I mix and match?  And suggestions would be great!  Thanks guys! 8)

flockshot

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2006, 02:48 PM »
oh god 400 should more than do it..theres so many brands...if you go cheap on anything..dont let it be the rod. spend 200-300 on the rod..and 100 on the real..you can get a better reel later...a good rod will last forever..and get good fly line..i really like scientific angler stuff...it will run you 60ish

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2006, 03:53 PM »
Agree with everything Flockshot said.  I want to add that you might want to get a rod with a more moderate action.  $4oo is A LOT to spend on a beginner's outfit.  It will get you basically anything you want within reason, but beginners usually do better with a little slower rod.  The faster actions tend to be unforgiving of minut mistakes until your casting stroke tightens up a bit.  That being said, don't just take my word for it.  Everybody's different.  Get what feels best to you.

If you want brands, I like Temple fork and St. Croix, but shop around.  Fly rods are a very personal thing.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

King Fisher

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2006, 01:06 PM »
The old Martin combo I had was worth about $120 and I am planning to upgrade to a $300 SAGE rod or a $300 LOOMIS rod, with a $100 OKUMA reel.  The line that I am leaning towards is the 4-4-4, I heard that it is as good as any, but that is probably a personal thing as well.  The only thing that I am debating is if I should get a 5 or 6 weight rod.  I dont plan on going for pike, just trout.  I dont really know the differences because they are so close.  This is something that experience will have to answer.  Can anyone give me a few suggestions?? Thanks!  8)

flockshot

« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2006, 01:38 PM »
id go 6...theres not a huge jump from 4 to 5 or 6 to 7...but from 5 to 6.. i think so..i tend to find six wieghts perfect for just about anything. good for streamers...can get a dry fly out. ..g-loomis has even admited that there perfect rods are all 6 wieghts..its all around rod...thats just my opinion..and 444 will suite you fine as long as you dont fish in below freezing temps..i find that it coils..but in average fishing weather its a good fairly affordable line.

King Fisher

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2006, 08:58 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, thanks for all the advice!  If any others want to add or give me a tip feel free, haha!!

windwalker

« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2006, 10:13 AM »
King Fisher, you don't have to over pay for quality to start. Orvis sells a complete outfit for under 200.
I bought the Streamline, 5 wt, 9' 4 piece rod and matching reel combo for 145.00. This came all set up with backing, 5 wt wounder line, and a mirage tippet, with all the best knots. What a learning I got on lines and knots. I now can cast with ease and twice as far. I think it's all in the line?  ;)
LORD, GIVE ME STRENGTH
 TO CATCH A FISH, SO BIG, THAT NOT EVEN I,WHEN SPEAKING OF IT, WILL EVER HAVE TO LIE.

rrfish

• Missouri River Brown
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2007, 11:02 AM »
Another really good way to learn is to become involved with Trout Unlimited.  Alot of members are VERY experienced and are usually more than happy to help a person out.  I am the VP of our local chapter here in Montana and we put on a free casting clinic anually from one of the best fly casters in the world...Bob Jacklin.  If you can find any of his books you will learn at a great rate and the best learning you can have is on the water, so good luck!!!  Any questions, just give me a shout!!!
  Hey Jiggy...pass me a beer will ya please?

Fish Farmer

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Yes, you don't have to break the bank early, spend $150 to $250 for a complete setup. But another thing to think of is spending a bit more on a higher end rod like Orvis which has a 25 yr guarantee. You beat around with it a few years and oops, break the tip, you send it back and get a new rod.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.