FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout/Dry Fly troubleshooting  (Read 6752 times)

knurren

• What of it?!
Trout/Dry Fly troubleshooting
« on: Jun 01, 2008, 09:46 PM »
For the dry fly fisherman out there...

When a trout rises on but refuses a dry fly, what do you do?  Do you change to a smaller size or do you change to a different fly all together.

What would you take from watching trout tail flick your dry fly?
Live free or die trying.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Re: Trout/Dry Fly troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2008, 05:04 PM »
First thing I'd do is try and catch one of the insects there on, and take a good look at it then match it up as close as possible. If the fish still seems a little shy, my guess would be that it isn't its' first rodeo. That usually means you gotta downsize tippet, sometimes it will make a world of difference. If they still seem a little reluctent, curse and yell at them and move on.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

mt2

• Saratoga
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2008, 08:16 AM »
"If they still seem a little reluctent, curse and yell at them and move on."  I was going to say the same thing......  Another option is to throw them a curve ball and and try something bigger.It has worked for me on occasion.

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Something bigger like a zoo cougar or something?  I've been doing well on woolly buggers, but they turn off at the point a hatch starts.  Or are you talking about sticking with the dry fly?

I'll try a different tippet.  I typically use light tippet anyway because these fish see lots of pressure and there isn't much size to them.  I think I was using mostly 5x, but maybe I'll switch to a 6x or 7x and maybe go 12' instead of 9'.

My presentation is so so, I'm working on it.  I think the major problem is the section has a lot of slow water.  They have a long time to inspect my flies.  So I'll switch the tippet size and I'll try to tie a better imitation tonight.  I caught a few of the mayflies that were hatching and I have them at home in a jar.

Cursing and yelling is always an option.  Thanks, everyone.
Live free or die trying.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2008, 04:11 PM »
"If they still seem a little reluctent, curse and yell at them and move on."  I was going to say the same thing......  Another option is to throw them a curve ball and and try something bigger.It has worked for me on occasion.

Well, I kinda go about it the oposite way, When I first approach a run or a holding area I like to swing a bugger through or a streamer sometimes a small attractor pattern, just to see if there is a fish  holding that is willing to feed. Sometimes I luck out and a fish will commit to one of these, but for the most part I'll see a quick flash or a brief chase. Then I'll break out the nymphs and dries. Allthough I have gone back to a bugger and have had fish bite, as you, on occasion. Buggers are awesome flies to fish the are very versatile, they can also be used as a fish finder so to speak.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2008, 05:30 PM »
dont forget it is possible that the fish are feeding just under the surface if all you see is a ripple as it would be caused by their tail as the turn so maybe switching to a wet fly could change your luck  :-\

copperjohn

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2008, 12:51 AM »
Subsurface for sure, but think cripples and mutants depending on the hatches.   I like the cdc emerging variants. 

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2008, 05:42 AM »
dont forget it is possible that the fish are feeding just under the surface if all you see is a ripple as it would be caused by their tail as the turn so maybe switching to a wet fly could change your luck  :-\

That's good advice, too.  The problem I'm having is I'll float a dry fly by a fish and they'll slashy rise on it, but not actually eat it.  I am finding emerging mayflies at the same time.  One of the flies I collected still had the nymph case stuck to its body. 

I picked up some CDC Monday night at Kittery Trading Post.  I have just scratched the surface with nymphs; I'm taking baby steps towards emergers.  As fly fishing goes, it is a life time of learning and I am still very new at it.

The dry that did produce was a size 14 hair wing with a little bit of red dubbing, a red quil body, and two very distinct tails.  Any advice on what emerging mayfly pattern might fit that?  This hair wing represents more of a spinner, rather than a dun.  I'll start doing some homework a.s.a.p.

By the way, I really like the hair wings.  They sit nice and low in the water.
Live free or die trying.

mt2

• Saratoga
« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2008, 05:58 PM »
I thought of another ,option if its legal where you are fishing, try adding a dropper off of the dry fly and put on a small pheasant tail nymph.

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2008, 06:25 AM »
It is legal... but all my nymphs are bead heads.  ;D  I don't think the dry fly would be dry for long.  I do however have a few small black and brown stone fly nymphs that do not have bead heads I could try.

I tied a few more similar to they dry the guy gave me.  I'll post up some pics tonight when I get a chance... my camera doesn't take the best close up shots, but I'll do my best.
Live free or die trying.

fisher rich

« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2008, 09:53 AM »
Mickey Finn has it right. Use a smaller tippet and a longer leader, usually 10-11 feet with a #5 or 6X tippet works for me. I always migrate to a size 14 or 16 Adams.
I usually manage a few fish each trip . But an emergr, or a wet or a tandam rig is a great  variation to try. I love dry fly fishing so much that I rarely do anything else. With low clear water you must go smaller in lines. Another tactic is to fish the faster water and the riffles or seams between fast and slow water. That usually beats the slow moving water in pools. Do not be afraid to fish the riffles even if the water is shallow. Big fish can hold in very little water!Godd luck  and let us know how you make out.

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2008, 07:05 AM »
I didn't make out too well this weekend.  Partly my fault, partly just how things worked out.  The water is warming and it's getting pretty low.  What it really comes down to is that I just was unable to match what they're eating.  I'm the weak like.

The Contoocook River in NH gets a fair amount of fishing pressure, particularly in the areas I fish.  These fish smarten up quickly.  I like the challenge, but it can be hard to stay possitive when all you catch is a chub. 

I picked up some emergers that I hope will work a little better.  I'm going camping this weekend and will be fishing the Androscoggin for a day or two.  I know right now is the Alder hatch... I've been spending my time trying to read up on caddis flies.  There is also a fly shop in N. Conway that I may swing over and check out.  They might have some flies to match what's going on up there.
Live free or die trying.

sticks

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2008, 11:14 PM »

I tried this the other day on a fly fish only stream and judging by the look on everyones face either im not welcome back or they dont know what think of me  ;D
a little garden hackle and a fly will fill the creal everytime.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2008, 11:12 PM »
I tried this the other day on a fly fish only stream and judging by the look on everyones face either im not welcome back or they dont know what think of me  ;D

You just cracked first, can't stand it when the fish are either just dialed in, being tight lipped. It sucks. I sometimes just sit back on the bank and watch. Sometimes you learn something , sometimes you curse ....

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2008, 07:33 AM »
I put down the fly rod for a couple weeks because of it.  Went back to worms for a little bit and caught a dozen brookies over the past weekend camping trip.  It could have been better if it didn't rain all day Sunday.

Plus, I don't know how many of you wear Hodgeman boots, but I got a pair that was a dud.  I exchanged them once, and the sides ripped out of both of them after the first trip.  Apparently they're all doing that.  So I ordered a nice pair of Simms which I hope to try out this weekend.  Good luck everyone... and if you don't have good luck, it's okay to curse ;D
Live free or die trying.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.