FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout/Dry Fly troubleshooting  (Read 6753 times)

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
Re: Trout/Dry Fly troubleshooting
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2008, 07:47 PM »
So I ordered a nice pair of Simms which I hope to try out this weekend.

HAHA!!! WOnt be sorry there.  Bought my pair of breathable simms beginning of last springs steelie run, just like wearing a pair of running pants and tennis shoes! except ya stay dry. 

Try the already mentioned methods, longer tippet, lighter line, smaller flies, bigger flies, streamers, dont forget about those bead heads in your box!!!
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

emeraldshiner

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 04:02 PM »
For the dry fly fisherman out there...

When a trout rises on but refuses a dry fly, what do you do?  Do you change to a smaller size or do you change to a different fly all together.

What would you take from watching trout tail flick your dry fly?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Go to a small white wolf, size 16 or smaller with appropiate sized tapered leader and tippet, present dry, then fish wet with slow retrieve/strip. I see you are from the northeast and this has worked for me on many occassions on Maine small rivers and ponds when they are feeding subsurface. Good Luck!  ;)

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 10:33 PM »
throw rocks at them until they go away, then you'll have a reason as to why you couldn't catch anything. ;D

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 07:13 AM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Go to a small white wolf, size 16 or smaller with appropiate sized tapered leader and tippet, present dry, then fish wet with slow retrieve/strip. I see you are from the northeast and this has worked for me on many occassions on Maine small rivers and ponds when they are feeding subsurface. Good Luck!  ;)

I tried that last night and it just didn't work for me for some reason or another.  Some of these fish get educated pretty quick.  This pond is fished by at least a dozen people every day, it isn't larger than an acre, and a lot of these people fish it daily.  They know they hatches and the fish will accept nothing less.  There aren't a lot of places that get pressure like this so it's not an everyday occurance.  I overheard that size 24 black fly imitations were working wonders... but some of these guys are crafty and intend on some of this "information" being heard.  Even still, it would have been worth trying if I had anything that small.  I will for this weekend.  ;)

I also heard someone utter a parachute adams.  Which, oddly enough, I don't have one of those either.  Time to tie some stuff up for the weekend.
Live free or die trying.

fish4kitty

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Size 24? Good lord I couldn't even see the dad gum thing to tie it on. With my sausage fingers I find anything smaller than a size 16 or 18 to be a challenge. I don't think I've even seen a 24. Just for the record I've been doing good with a mosquito pattern. Size 16. Fish for brookies here behind the house. Several different hatches on right now.
In search of the 40" walleye.....

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #20 on: Jun 04, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Well, I found out what they wanted last night.  There was a nice big tan caddis hatch at 7:30pm on the Contoocook at Professor's Pool.  Didn't slay them, but 7 fish after a day at work is plenty to calm my nerves.
Live free or die trying.

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #21 on: Jun 22, 2009, 07:20 PM »
was fishing in montana last year, for some odd reason there were a whole bunch of tan moths everywhere, not just on the river, but in the cities too, not to mention the hotel we were staying in. broke out a size 6 elk hair caddis and got a strike every cast.

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jun 29, 2009, 11:00 PM »
Yep, they definatly are NOT bsing you when they say "Match The Hatch!"
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

oatkasut

« Reply #23 on: Jun 29, 2009, 11:25 PM »
tried a Dave's grasshopper today when all else failed and got into the browns up to 16 inches. time to brake out the ants, bettles and hoppers. both wild and stocked trout can't resist these imitations.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.