FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Help in Purchasing Rod & Reel  (Read 2831 times)

Issiah

Help in Purchasing Rod & Reel
« on: Aug 11, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Wondering If any of you can lend me some advice in purchasing a new fly rod & reel. I'll be using it mainly for Steelhead so I need a Good drag. I don't want to spend alot of money on the set up. I'm an Ugly Stick / 15-40$ Reel kinda guy with my usual spin cast set ups.  My biggest concern is a smooth drag. I have a couple of Fly rod / reel combos but I know a Steelhead would be way too much for them.

Bartman44

Re: Help in Purchasing Rod & Reel
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2008, 08:58 PM »
That's a tough one. I see you have a steelhead pic so you probably already know what they can do to an inferior fly reel. 

Having said that and if you need to keep price to a minimum, try Cabelas traditional fly rod/reel combos.

They have a 10 ft,  8 wt combo in the bargain cave right now and they have a good return policy of you don't like it. 

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2008, 11:30 AM »
I have been happy with my Okuma SLV fly reel.  I looked at a couple Courtlands in the same price range that came close but weren't as smooth.  I paid $60 for this reel and it's probably the best adjustable drag out of the handful I tried.  It's pretty smooth, and for the money I'm probably going to get another for my 4wt set up.

I don't have any experience with steelhead, but it seems like a pretty solid piece.  I'd recommend picking one up and messing with the drag at a fly shop before buying one.  Even if you decide to order it online, it's better to hold and test things in a store so you know what you're getting.
Live free or die trying.

Issiah

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2008, 04:58 PM »
I love the smooth drag on the Okuma Spinning reels; definitely gonna look into that reel...Thanx!

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2008, 05:02 PM »
okuma reel with a orvis rod.
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

JDK

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2008, 05:08 PM »
I have the Okuma SLV on my 4 wt. and as knurren stated it is a very nice reel.  I can't see where the larger models won't work for steelhead.

# SAND

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2008, 06:29 PM »
 have you ever thought about a float rod / center pin rod thats what i've always wanted
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

Issiah

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I have, just don't know a whole lot about them...

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2008, 07:02 PM »
lots of ugly stik fly rods on ebay.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Issiah

« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2008, 04:07 PM »
didn't know they made fly rods. They are definitely a brand I trust.  Think I'm gonna go Ugly Stick / Okuma  like I do with a lot of my spin cast gear.  Thanxs Guys

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Issiah just get the ugly stick 7/8 weight. It will be fine I have a custom made rod for steelhead, it's a 7 weight with a large arbour Orvis Rocky Mountain reel and it handles them fine.

We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Issiah

« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2008, 03:22 PM »
Cool; I will!   Thanks... 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.