FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring Flies?  (Read 2951 times)

livtofish

Spring Flies?
« on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:36 PM »
What are the best flies to use in the Rivers and Streams following ice-out in the Northeast US.  I am new at flyfishing and want to try these waters  this April or May before the hatches start.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

woodfolks

• woodfolks.com
Re: Spring Flies?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:44 PM »
streamers and nymphs
work for me in the spring

sinking line

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:35 AM »
I guess it depends on what you're getting in to.  Something that happens around here in late April into May is the smelt runs from the lakes up into the rivers.  They go to spawn and the trout and ll salmon are not far behind.  Sometimes good smelt streamer patters work like the winni smelt, frost blue smelt, grey ghost, etc. 
Don't forget about wooly buggers either. 

Early spring you'll find quill Gordons, blue winged olives, and tiny black caddis flies sort of in that order.  That's often followed by the hendrickson hatches we have.  I like carrying bwo and hendrickson emerger patterns as well as some nymphs.  If the streamers aren't working, there's nothing coming off the water, and the nymphs aren't producing, a soft hackle wet fly is ideal.  It can be a good fly when it seems that nothing in particular is going on.

Live free or die trying.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2009, 07:58 PM »
beadhead pheasant tail ,wolly bugger ,hares ear,muddler minnow all fished deep and slow  later on as  hatches start the first olives  addams,light cahills  ,light hendricksons...
                                                                                                                                                 trap
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

seasnapper

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:08 AM »
a size 12 tunsten bead head hares ear fished upstream with an indicator until mid april when blue quills start to hatch

wiredstone

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2009, 07:07 PM »
If I could only have 3 flies. They would be Caddis, Haresear, and beadhead pheasant tail
wooo fish on. Never mind

jiggnfool

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2009, 09:00 PM »
 A PT with a soft hackle lightning bug dropper. :o

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2009, 01:04 PM »
I am seeing a lot of black stones come off the water right now.  Sorry, I don't have a water temp for you... but I suggest black stone, hare's ear, and pheasant tailr nymphs with some kind of black elkwing caddis to imitate the stoneflies... I'm finding them to be about size 14 - 16
Live free or die trying.

wiredstone

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:58 PM »
I live on the Broadhead. We have a huge amount of stoe flies coming off now. Black cadiss has been an awsome flie.
wooo fish on. Never mind

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 09:50 PM »
A BH pheasant tail nymph is a sure bet for most fly fishermen and spring trout.  I stay away from nymphs while fly fishing trout. I like to throw streamers and dry flies for the excitement.
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.