FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cheap Quality Fly Combo  (Read 7231 times)

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
Re: Cheap Quality Fly Combo
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2009, 11:39 AM »
I feel like I am spouting off my own personal opinions here, and I apologize.

But since you asked, I would say that if comparing St. Croix versus Temple Fork, the TFO would be worth another ONE HUNDRED dollars  :D  !!!

I guess in my mind they are just two different "caliber" rods and manufacturers.  St. Croix is good beginner stuff, no doubt.  But the TFO construction and gear is surely at least one "step" up in categories (and cost, of course...  But the upgrade in quality far outweighs the realtively minor cost increase...  Make any sense?)

TFO can either be considered "cream of the crop lower end" or "lower end high quality gear", I suppose.

Cortland is the same price as St Croix and (in my opinion) superior.

But the TFO gear is a step well above them both- but you pay more.

But when you read reviews by anglers comparing their TFO gear to their Thomas & Thomas, Sage, or Winstons (which I would, and those rods are $400+) then you know you are on the right track.

I feel like a rep for TFO and I swear that's not the case- but they have garnered a great following among fly fisherman (who are a pretty cynical and snooty bunch sometimes) and that says a lot in my opinion.

Personally, I am just happy to hear about more guys getting into fly fishing, it is a helluva' good time once you get the hang of it and hook you're first few fish.  It is a whole 'nother world when you fight a fish on a fly rod!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

Big Al 1

« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2009, 07:48 PM »
I figured that temple forks is a better brand, however it is hard for me to distinguish the difference between a good fly to a superior rod. It is really hard especially when in a store where they have no place to really cast. You don't sound like a TFO sales rep you just have a strong opinion through experience and many rods. Once again i gratly appreciate all of the help jimmy. Now that i have started fly fishing again after many years i love it and could care less now if i forgot my spinning rod if i had all the flies i needed.

pickledpike

« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2009, 10:15 PM »
The TFO's are a superior rod.  However I have a Crosswater and a Red Fly 2 and both are awesome rods, especially for the price.  I picked up the crosswater for 60 and the red fly for 80 (closeing out an old model).  Either way you decide to go the warranty is good for both brands and I'm sure you will be satisfied with the quality.  

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2009, 08:39 AM »
After reading this thread and some of the reviews, I might have to pick one of these up at some point this season.  I fish St. Croix now and really do love them, but I'm always up to trying new gear when it looks as promissing as this. 

Live free or die trying.

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #19 on: Apr 03, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Yeah, it's almost funny how good the TFO stuff is, and how even my choosiest "high brow" buddies have come around to buying a rod or two.  Or common joke is that we should buy 'em NOW before (like all good and affordable things) the price either goes way up or the quality goes way down!   Ha!

"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2009, 11:06 AM »
I guess my only question is where are they made?  That was one of the big selling points for me with St. Croix, they're made in the US.  It's not going to stop me from trying them out but I'm curious.

Live free or die trying.

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #21 on: Apr 03, 2009, 11:13 AM »
To be honest, I am not really sure where that are manufactured- but the company is based in Dallas...

Funny- I seem to buy them anyway even though they come from Texas (zing!).

This has turned into a really good conversation, with some really good input.  I surely don't wish to bash St, Croix by any means, I have owned one in my day as well.  As mentioned, they fit nicely in that 'category' with Cortland and Reddington, etc. 

Just wanted to make sure I gave TFO a shout-out once the name came up.  Wish I could help on the country of origin (I know most Cortand rods come from overseas, but the line is made in Cortland, NY) on the TFO's...

But here are some great lines from their website.  Shoudl put any warranty concerns to bed!

"Lifetime Warranties" on fly rods are worth little for rods that stay in the closet, and they are definitely a poor substitute for fly rod performance. For some of you, ours might be your only rod, and for others who might be adding to a portfolio of rods, we expect ours to become a favorite.

Temple Fork Outfitters rods prefer to spend their time fishing, and thus face a greater odds of breakage. Our NO FAULT LIFETIME WARRANTY will repair or replace your rod for a reasonable shipping and handling charge for the life of the registered owner. "

That's some pretty awesome confidence in equipment that costs less than half of what the "Big Boys" command for some fo their products.  I like the line that says "no fault lifetime warranty".  Good stuff!

Big Al 1

« Reply #22 on: Apr 05, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Sounds like that is the deal breaker.

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2009, 02:33 PM »
My 13 year old decided he wanted to start flyfishing.  He bought himself a Scientific Anglers package at wally world last year.  He got it on clearance for around $35.  The usual price is 70 or 75 bucks.  Its a nice package that came with rod, reel, backing, flyline and leader, a few flies and a beginning flycasting manual.  I was actually surprised how well the rod handles.  The action is nice, the reel has been flawless.  He should get a lot of years of enjoyment from it, and he didn't even have to break the piggy bank to to buy it.
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.