FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flyrods...What do you use?  (Read 19953 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Flyrods...What do you use?
« on: Mar 07, 2004, 04:53 AM »
This is great...Haven't had any flyfishers to talk to in a long time.

What's your flyrod collection consist of? Which do you ues most?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

mike VDM

Re: Flyrods...What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2004, 07:26 PM »
Well I never got into fly fishing but when I worked for Genesee Vally Taxidermy in Caledonia I decided that I was going to buy every outdoor thing I could before I got married so I bougt a Cortland GRF100 8'6" with a Cortland CG Cassette Professional Size #1 reel along with as may dry flies and nimphs that I could get into a fly box.  They are all hand tied by a local guy in Caledonia specifically for the Oatka and spring creek.  Don't know if it is good or bad but it worked for the creeks in Caledonia.  Did ok with it on Squaw Lake & Lowes Lake in the Adirondacks as well. With the help of a few guys I do believe that I will be doing more fly tieing and fishing this summer.

Mike

seaweed01

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2004, 08:34 PM »
My favoriate fly rod is my Fenwick #806 graphite 6 wt. I have other graphite rods, a few very old bamboo and some fiberglass rods that I haven't used in years. I have flyfished and tied flys for 30+ years, so have quite a collection of all "type of junk" (as my wife would say).

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2004, 07:59 AM »
When I was stationed in Bosnia with the Army I ordered an Orvis 7 1/2' Superfine 4 weight with a Battenkill 3/4 disc drag reel.  I was the only soldier traveling around a combat zone with a flyrod!   ;D

I love this rod for most fishing situations.  It performs perfectly on smaller streams and if you take it into larger rivers a 17" trout will feel like a trophy tarpon!

I also have an older St. Croix 5/6 weight with a Pflueger Medalist reel.  I recently purchased an Orvis 6 weight 9' western trout rod from I guy I met on a camping trip.  I put an Orvis Rocky Mountain 5/6 disc drag reel on that one.  Wasn't sure if I would like the reel, but it works out okay because it has a cartridge on it and I can change lines very quickly.

For fly line I prefer Cortland 444 series lines.

I also have an older Orvis Battenkill split bamboo, but that doesn't leave the house.

Still looking for a good 8 or 9 weight for steelhead...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:21 AM »
Had to do an inventory to answer this .

I have built most of my rods from Lamiglas graphite blanks.

3/4 wt 6'-6" hand made
4/5 wt 7'-6" hand made
5/6 wt 7' hand made (special SmallmouthBass Rod)
5/6 wt 8' 6" Pflueger IM7
9/10 wt  9' Hand made Lamiglas Tube Fiberglas(pike/largemouth rod)
5 wt 3 pc #59 South Bend Split Bamboo, Restored to original condition with 2 tips...

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wny angler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:37 AM »

9'  6WT CORTLAND   i use  it for jumbo gills and stream trout---dry fly fishing

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:06 PM »
I have several fly fishing outfits but my favorite would have to be my Orvis 1 wt !  ;)
Those who are brave are free ..       

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:19 PM »
Doug,
Do you use that to catch the minnows in the bucket?

I've never handled a 1wt. Must feel like a feather and a thread.

RG

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:53 AM »
RG using a 1 wt is no different than using a 4 wt - just have to downsize. You need a little more control when using larger flies or poppers but it can be managed. The thrill though is when you catch a stocked trout, bluegill or sunny and the rod bows and line is taken out. To someone who doesn't know what you are using it appears you have a monster hooked ! And to be truthful you mostly are catching 7"-10" stockies from small creeks/rivers anyway. I have caught (and released) 20" brown trout on this setup out in Pa. (Ressica Falls) and had a blast.  ;D

Cider

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:05 AM »
Doug - that 1 wt must be a real pleasure to fish with.  I have used a 3 wt on stocked brookies in the 8-10" class and they always feel like trophy fish.  Light tackle, be it fly or spinning, is always a fun challenge!

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:18 AM »
Cider you're right it truly is a pleasure to fish with. I took a long, hard look several years back at where I was fishing and what I was catching. The 4 wt setup just didn't seem challenging until you got into a larger fish. I splurged and went with the 1 wt and now even a descent sunny or gill is fun.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:26 AM »
HMMMMM!
I'm already looking for blanks. My birthday's coming up fast and My Wonderful bride is getting me that 3 wood I've been hesitating on....Happy Birthday To Me....Happy Birthday To  Me!!

I've even got a nice old Pfleuger Medalist to put on it.

What type of line do you use Doug? Level, Rocket, WF?

RG

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2004, 12:42 PM »
I've settled on the weight forward for several reasons. With the lite line it aids in casting further. It also aids when using small poppers and less aerodynamic flies. Also using the 1 wt line on windy days I find it's easier to punch the line into the wind with WF.

Cider

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:03 PM »
Oh, I agree completely on the WF line.  I think this is the best of all the line types for the reasons you have stated here.  Particularly when you get into the lighter weight lines.

flynuts2004

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:02 PM »
St. Croix Ultra is number one in my book 9 foot 5 weight for panfish ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.