FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I want to start fly fishing NEED HELP  (Read 6065 times)

BBK

I want to start fly fishing NEED HELP
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:08 PM »
Question #2:

I went fishing today and found some nice bluegill spawn beds, while I was catching them I noticed that every time something came floating by on top the water they would go up and try to eat it off the surface. What fly would be a good choice for them? A small floating nymph? Small popper? I plan to go back sometime next week so I will take my new flyrod with me and see if I can get a few.

therealjt

Re: I want to start fly fishing NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:34 PM »
i started out last year on whooping the blue gill with one. I went to sportsmans warehouse and picked up an akuma tempest combo complete with backing, fly line, and leader for like 80 bucks. I reccomend a 5wt i find it very easy to cast and still has plenty of play in the rod even on the gills.
if you ever get towards dsm and haven't picked one up yet we could hook up and you could give it a shot.
quoted from piker1
"flyfishing is just like eating popcorn , once ya start you can't stop lol ......"

piker1

• here fishy,fishy
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:11 PM »
get the cheap stuff to start with , when you get the hang of things and get better then work up to better stuff.like told get started for 80 bucks , while getting better save up get 200 buck or more set up ...... ;D
If your not fishing , your not living

BBK

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 06:12 PM »
I just got done talking with my dad, I asked him the same question and he said he has a pflueger combo that I can have. Im going to go over and check it out right now. Il post what it is.

BBK

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 06:33 PM »
Alright its a cortland 8' 2 piece line wt 5-6 with a pflueger purist reel. Is that outfit any good?

therealjt

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 06:44 PM »
if it will cast a fly then yeah its good to start with... and with it being free it is really good have fun burning up some gills, go pick up some little poppers in various colors they are really fun on those.
quoted from piker1
"flyfishing is just like eating popcorn , once ya start you can't stop lol ......"

BBK

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 06:57 PM »
OK now that I got the rod situation taken care of, I have another question.

I went fishing today and found some nice bluegill spawn beds, while I was catching them I noticed that every time something came floating by on top the water they would go up and try to eat it off the surface. What fly would be a good choice for them? A small floating nymph? Small popper? I plan to go back sometime next week so I will take my new flyrod with me and see if I can get a few.

therealjt

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 08:23 PM »
either a popper or a little nymph will work as long as its moving some
quoted from piker1

piker1

• here fishy,fishy
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Think he has the gist of things. I agree with flies, another thing you can do is if you know what the hatch is try to find fly to macth ..... sounds like your on your way to fly fishing , good deal........ and free to boot lol ......... ;D

topher7694

• Here fishy fishy fishy.....
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 09:48 PM »
I just started this year myself with a fly rod..If you have a fly shop local go down and ask lots of questions, and 99% of the time they will be more than willing to help you get what you need to get started.  You can also go to fly fishing websites like Orvis.com as they also have a lot of info as to what you want to get into. be careful though, fly fishing can get very addicting  :)
I've got thousands invested, she's got a $20 combo and a can of worms--I get out fished EVERY time--Gotta Love It !!

Boomer

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Small poppers are good. I stated on another thread not to forget the rubber spider. I like black the best but do carry a couple in green and  a few in white. Also, if they are hitting under the surface a black ant can be deadly. Good luck and have fun.

BBK

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Went over to a city park pond and caught a bunch of tiny tiny bluegills, 1 small crappie, and an 8" smallmouth. I think I'm going to like flyfishing!

piker1

• here fishy,fishy
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 05:47 PM »
flyfishing is just like eating popcorn , once ya start you can't stop lol ...... ::)

therealjt

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 05:26 PM »
flyfishing is just like eating popcorn , once ya start you can't stop lol ...... ::)

that is getting sigged LOL
quoted from piker1

BBK

« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2009, 03:53 PM »
Caught my first trout on a fly rod last Friday! Actually, I caught 4! Fly fishing is addicting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.