FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I want to start fly fishing NEED HELP  (Read 6067 times)

therealjt

Re: I want to start fly fishing NEED HELP
« Reply #15 on: Jun 01, 2009, 08:00 PM »
congrats on the fish...

my fly rod has been out hot and heave for the last week... today i was pulling big blue gill in about 10 in the 10' + range
have caught close to 1000 gills in the last week and probably 50 bass and a dozen golden shiner.

keep it up, sounds like your hooked
quoted from piker1
"flyfishing is just like eating popcorn , once ya start you can't stop lol ......"

BBK

« Reply #16 on: Jun 03, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Well I started tying my own flies yesterday. I came to the conclusion that I suck at it.

Here's my first fly.

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:56 PM »
Practice, practice, practice, oh and by the way, did I mention PRACTICE!  If that was your first attempt, you can't complain.  It doesn't look all that bad.  Did I mention, it takes practice!
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #18 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:58 PM »
And I forgot to mention, fish with everything you tie!  You would be amazed at what fish will take. (particularly bluegills) And you can't believe the satisfaction and the thrill you get when you catch that first fish on a fly that you have tied! ;D
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

piker1

• here fishy,fishy
« Reply #19 on: Jun 04, 2009, 06:06 AM »
don't worry takes a few times to get hang of tying flies and use that one you will cacth something with it........ ;D
If your not fishing , your not living

BBK

« Reply #20 on: Jun 04, 2009, 06:32 AM »
Yeah, that was the first one I tied. I tried it for trout yesterday but they didn't seem interested in it.

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #21 on: Jun 04, 2009, 06:52 AM »
I think you're selling yourself short BBK, it looks good to me. I'd fish with that fly.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

adrock

« Reply #22 on: Jun 04, 2009, 07:17 AM »
That is a heck of a first fly!  Much better than the one i tied thats for sure.  Keep at it it gets easier.  I am still trying to improve all the time.  Fly fishing is such a blast, I think it's safe to say you are now hooked.  When you start tying your own flies the possiblities really become limitless. 

oatkasut

« Reply #23 on: Jun 04, 2009, 09:38 AM »
My Dad used a royal coachman dry fly to catch a ton of gills in a small lake near our home in the evenings from the shoreline. Us kids used worms on a baitcaster and ended up with catfish and suckers. Now I usaully fish with a Gaines popper(made in Pennslyvania). you can find them in fishing shops. they are great!Good luck!

BBK

« Reply #24 on: Jun 04, 2009, 01:37 PM »
I guess it does work. I limited on bows in 30 minutes this morning with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.