FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Visiting YNP Region in Sept and looking for advice  (Read 2309 times)

ZeroGravity

Visiting YNP Region in Sept and looking for advice
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:17 PM »
I am heading back to Yellowstone National Park region in September (12 - 19) and looking for some advice as to how and where to fish.  I have a couple of trips booked with a guide, but I would like to do some venturing on my own while in the area.  Any information you could provide would be appreciated.  I was thinking about fishing the Madison Jct in the Park.  Not sure of exactly where I want to go and what I should be using for flies.  Also considering a few spots in the NE corner of the Park...Slough Creek, Lamar, Soda Butte Creek.  Same deal....I read that it is good to find a spot that is the furthest from the road and hike in...Lamar Valley is pretty vast, I suspect some kind of strategy would be helpful?  Thoughts?

I live in Maine and typically fish for Brook Trout and Land Locked Salmon.  I am learning that the technique is different as well as the type of flies to use.  But I have a long way to go.

I was out there back in August 2007 and had a great time on the Snake near Jackson and the Warm River to Ashton.  I hope to have an even better time this go round given it is Sept.

Any information you can provide is appreciated.

jona

Re: Visiting YNP Region in Sept and looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2010, 07:59 PM »
My biggest piece of advice is hire a lawyer!   ;D  Anyone who thinks their own state has confusing regs should look at Yellowstone's.  Rivers seemingly change rules by the footstep.  Seriously though in all honesty, talk to your guide and/or local tackle shops and get the most updated regs you can.

That said, September should be best time for the hopper/dropper.  Size 6 or 8 I like for hopper, with your favorite nymph below it (prince, san juan worm after rain, pheasant tail are the standy's).  Cast TIGHT to the banks.  If you don't lose the dropper every once in a while you're not tight enough.  The further away from roads you can get, the better.  We as fishermen have dreams of fishing the mighty Yellowstone River in peace and solitude, catching big rainbows and cuts.  Truth is the 'stone is a zoo as well as most other famed rivers like the Madison.  I honestly didn't fish a whole lot in the park, mostly outside in MT.  If you head out that way, let me know I can offer better advice...

ZeroGravity

Re: Visiting YNP Region in Sept and looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:31 AM »
jona;

Thank you for the reply.  I plan to fish with a guide on the first day of my trip outside of the park.  Looking at waters in the Island Park, ID area.  Working with WorldCast Anglers on that trip.

I plan to fish the park on my own, but I will be sure to check the reg carefully.  Wanted to fish the Madison near the Junction.  Not exactly sure where to fish and what use.  I heard that streamers are good in that area around that time.

If I fish Slough Creek, Lamar, or Soda Butte Creek, I will be sure to try the hopper/dropper set up you mentioned.

I wasn't planning to fish the Yellowstone.

Last couple of days of my trip I am planning a guided trip down the South Fork (2 day overnight package).

Have a great day!

- ZG -

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.