FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone use a Nor Vise?  (Read 2513 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Anyone use a Nor Vise?
« on: May 23, 2010, 12:41 PM »
I'm back to looking at vises again. I almost bought one this last spring but still didn't find one I really liked. Now I've come across the Nor Vise. I'm intrigued! A true inline rotary vise.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Thor

Re: Anyone use a Nor Vise?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2010, 09:13 AM »
I've never used one, but I've watched the guy who invented them using one at the big flyfishing show in Somerset, New Jersey.  He really knows how to handle it, and the vise shines when dubbing a body.  He spins the vise to quickly and evenly wrap the dubbing thread onto the hook shank.  Aside from that one particular use, I don't really see much of an advantage to it.  The inventor also uses some special spring-loaded bobbins while wrapping the dubbing, which he sells.  I think you would need these to use the vise like he does, and they aren't cheap, either.

There are a lot of nationally and internationally recognized fly tyers at the show, and he may be the only person that I saw using the Nor Vise.  I don't recall any of the other professional tyers using it, for whatever that's worth.  The big barrel behind the actual vise looks like it might get in my way.

Maybe you can check YouTube or his website and see if there is a video of him using it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Anyone use a Nor Vise?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2010, 04:57 PM »
I did find videos of him using it. After watching several more videos of different styles of rotaries, there seems, to me anyway, to be an advantage to the drop neck style vises as opposed to the Nor Vise. Plus, the vise with the spring loaded bobbin is over $400.

I've settled on a Danvise to see if I like the concept. Great reviews and a very reasonable price.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.