FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How would you feel about this while you're fishing?  (Read 5239 times)

taxid

Re: How would you feel about this while you're fishing?
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2019, 11:20 AM »
Putting your personal bias aside, do you really see fishermen harassment in that video? 

I can’t comment on the legality of jumping the dam but seems to be a stretch to say what he did as harassment

Yes I do actually see harassment especially since he did it after the anglers showed displeasure the first time. (Was told on the Facebook page he did this more than once).  I do believe it would add to the anxiety of fish in the area, and cause them to be less likely too bite.  Kind of like throwing rocks in the water near fisherman.

I also see this as a safety issue if he lost control of the PWC.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JDK

« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Did you read what constitutes harassment in Michigan?

Stupid-yes
Unsafe--yes
Pain in the ass---yes
Illegal- not sure
Harassment- in my opinion---no
# SAND

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2019, 01:57 PM »

Stupid-yes
Unsafe--yes
Pain in the ass---yes
Illegal- not sure

Well we are all entitled to our opinons. Not saying you're wrong and I'm right. I guess it would be up to law enforcement.

So you don't think it shows a disregard for others using the river and can creat a conflict? I'm all for people using a public body of water the way they wish, but what happens with it creates a conflict or safety hazard?

Our of curiosity I have posted this on a Michigan forum to find out if anyone knows if it's illegal. I'll post what I found.

Cheers?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

tomturkey

« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2019, 02:09 PM »
Downtown Grand Rapids Michigan ?

Dom It look's like the 6th street dam to me too! The 6th street dam keeps most of the invasive species from making it to Lansing. Taking all of the dams n Gr is coming. they want it back to rapids for the kayakers. They are also thinking of dredging the river from GR to Grand Haven. Can you imagine all of the big power boats flying up the river if it is dredged. Say good by the fishing.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Dom It look's like the 6th street dam to me tot least the 6th street dam keeps most of the invasive species from making it to Lansing. They are also thinking of dredging the river from GR to Grand Haven. Can you imagine all of the big power boats flying up the river if it is dredged. Say good by the good fishing.

Wow. That would be silly Tom..  But i thought i recognized  that spot... Use to stand there back in the day.... ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Agreed on the free entertainment... I was a crazy kid once (maybe still), I don't throw stones in my house of glass.

seamonkey84

« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2019, 02:24 PM »
I absolutely hate when there’s jet skis around. They don’t ever follow the headway speed rules near shore and are always buzzing us when we’re out fishing. There’s a whole wide open part of the lake, yet they insist on going back and forth between boats that are fishing. I swear it’s so they have someone else to blame or save them when they do something really stupid.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2019, 10:37 AM »

Stupid-yes
Unsafe--yes
Pain in the ass---yes
Illegal- not sure

That says it all..."in my opinion".

Whenever I encounter a jetski locally, it's never good. Seems that many think that having a jetski entitles them to special rules (none) and the right to show off their (lack of) operating skills to whomever they find. They seem to go out of their way to look for people to "bother".

Up in the lakes region of NH the F&G dept. has officers on the water to enforce ALL watercraft rules and regulations.
Jetski incidents are generally the result of low IQ's and alcohol.

In this case I say yes to harassment, since the jetski was "showing off" for the anglers and could have created a real danger to them all!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

tomturkey

« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2019, 12:35 PM »
We have a 100 foot law in Michigan. YOU have to stay away from another boat by 100 feet.

It is a good thing that there was not a big run of steelies or salmon when pulled that stunt. There would have been guys in the water where he landed plus boats anchored also.

A friend had skiers using the anchored fishing boats for salmon markers. One of the skiers had to fall to keep from ending up in his boat. the jerk must have had a headache after he hit him over the head with an oar. The guy had to swim pushing his skies quite away before the boat dared to pick him up

Fish Farmer

« Reply #24 on: Sep 20, 2019, 08:34 AM »
Actually there are laws in some states that come down on those that appear to be harassing anglers or jeapordiing their safety. He should be prosecuted. I doubt jumping the dam was legal.

I have to admit i have an ax to grind here. I have had on more than one occasion PWC's purposely harrass me in my boat. Came so close they ran over my lines giving me the finger. I get a bad taste in my mouth whenever I see them. We had one guy in a PWC harass two anglers in a bass tournament here, and when they finally got fed up with it they chased him into a backwater where he ran out of gas. It was shallow water, they jumped out and beat the crap out of him. Another case where a kid was harassing a guy fishing for musky. The kid got a musky plug snagged into the top of his head. Guy lost the case but the judge admonished the kid for getting too close to the boat and harassing him.

I see in this short clip that it was a safety issue for him as well as the anglers. When I lived on Lake Powell, AZ we saw stuff like this all the time, once there were jet skis actually jumping the wake of a Park Service utility boat. Every big holiday weekend there would be a death/injury related to jet skis or unsafe boating.

I've had a boat get too close to us when we were casting jitterbugs...chopped mine off. That was years ago on a quiet NH lake.

As for putting the fish down...would it be any different if that water body was full of wading anglers, boat motoring/anchoring? Any activity is going to spook fish, even the activity of fishing for them. It would be no different if I have a quiet spot steelheading on the Salmon River, then three drift boats fish through, but one anchors up by me shuffling the spot I'm fishing, could be good for me, could be bad.

A few years back I was fishing a recently stocked river which is a popular swimming spot. A guy came with his lab and started to toss a stick upstream, dog would jump in grab it and swim downstream toward me. He was maybe 75 to 100 feet away. He did this about 20 times and finally left. The fish didn't move since they were domestics, if they were wild they would have bolted. I was a bit miffed, but I don't own the river and many individuals don't understand fish behavior, etc. Lets say it was a novice fisherman who unknowingly spooked the pool instead of the dog.

I luckily have never actually had people harrass me while fishing. We have laws on the books here about doing that.

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Sep 20, 2019, 08:49 AM »
 We have laws on the books to , they are only as good as the people that obey them 😉 ,

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Sep 20, 2019, 05:17 PM »
We have laws on the books to , they are only as good as the people that obey them 😉 ,

Or if they are enforced. LEO's are spread thin and some don't want to deal with something if they don't witness it first hand.

Case in point: I found a honey hole for large bluegills one June in a lake here in Indiana that produces the biggest bluegills in the state (Clear Lake taste of Fremont, Indiana.) For those of you that have fished Clear Lake you can back me up on that. Anyone got there in the wee hours of the morning and used slip bobbers with baby crawlers a foot or two of the bottom in 25 feet of water. I was out a ways but not terribly far from the longest pier on the lake.  A guy came out  of his cottage two days in a row about 9 A.M., got into his big power boat, and purposely strafed me really close back and forth. After that the bite was over as it was like I wa sitting in a hurricane. I got the boat number, description etc. etc. Was told by an conservation officer that wasn't enough. He needed a face to go with the number. Huh? So I guess the boat numbers tell them nothing?

There's some big money on that lake and this guy looked like he was loaded with a massive size property and house. Maybe a politician or lawyer or something? May have had something to do with the reluctance on the part of the LEO.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.