FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: "Cheap" Bait Runner Reel?  (Read 5456 times)

EAD

"Cheap" Bait Runner Reel?
« on: Sep 03, 2009, 12:02 PM »
Hey Guys,

Anyone know where to get, or the model # of a cheap spinning bait runner reel?

I'd like to get one for Carp fishing because at the moment I am using my Striper stuff, but I'd like to have dedicated setups for all my things.  I've looked around at some local stores and only been able to locate 1 and it was $90.  Is that about the going rate. (Sorry I don't even remember the brand.) Bass pro is about an hour away but you know them, they take you are and you leg too.)

Obviously I need something that isn't a piece of trash, but I can't afford to drop a lot of money as I am still a broke post-graduate.

Thanks guys!
Ed

buzzbomb

Re: "Cheap" Bait Runner Reel?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2009, 01:07 PM »
As in so many things, you get what you pay for.  I've had a few that I burned out and wound up buying better quality after spending money I didn't have to.  The reel you need depends to some extent on where you fish.  If you're only going to go to the little pond you don't need a large capacity reel, but if you ever want to fish at range a bigger one could come in handy.  I'd check out ebay and keep checking.  I fish at 100 - 120 yards from mid-summer on so I use the Shimano 4500 which holds over 300 yds of 12 lb test.  Since I keep 3 rods of varying test curve made up and wanted 3 reels ebay was a big help.  The 3500 is the same animal, just smaller.  Okuma EB-50 has a decent capacity and I got one for my friend and he likes it fine.  I have the set of  3 4500 Shimanos, a 3500, a DAM Quick and several others, and I like the 4500s best, (but I've always liked using a larger reel).  If you see a Mitchell Fullrunner Electronic around, don't buy it.  Catching a bunch of large carp will cook the drag and you'll be cursing.  My friends and I have accounted for 3 of these and I was the only one who got a replacement on warranty.  Rod/reel balance is fairly important but since most carp rods are 11' -13' the large reel feels right.  I think the 4500B retails at around $110 new these days in the U.S. and the only difference between an old 4500 and the newer B model is the B has a positive stop and maybe a different line roller, which isn't important to me.  I'd consider a 4500 on ebay for $50 - $60 in good or new condition a bargain, otherwise I recommend saving up and buying a new one.  I know in the past Cabela's has had the 4500B for $100 and their Cabela's Predator 11' rod is a decent rod for about $60, but the highest test curve they come in is 2.25 lb, which is a little light for big carp, (and for that reel).   There are a few dedicated carp tackle shops in the states like royalcarp.com, resistancetackle.com, bigcarptackle.com, scorpiontackle.com, and a few others.  The tackle trader boards on some websites have good deals too.  The Carp Angler's Group's for sale board has some good deals once in awhile.  I hope that helps and feel free to ask for info anytime.
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2009, 02:56 PM »
okuma avengers are about $50.00. i have the ABF-40, and love it.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Jack Magnum

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2009, 06:21 AM »
As in so many things, you get what you pay for.  I've had a few that I burned out and wound up buying better quality after spending money I didn't have to.  The reel you need depends to some extent on where you fish.  If you're only going to go to the little pond you don't need a large capacity reel, but if you ever want to fish at range a bigger one could come in handy.  I'd check out ebay and keep checking.  I fish at 100 - 120 yards from mid-summer on so I use the Shimano 4500 which holds over 300 yds of 12 lb test.  Since I keep 3 rods of varying test curve made up and wanted 3 reels ebay was a big help.  The 3500 is the same animal, just smaller.  Okuma EB-50 has a decent capacity and I got one for my friend and he likes it fine.  I have the set of  3 4500 Shimanos, a 3500, a DAM Quick and several others, and I like the 4500s best, (but I've always liked using a larger reel).  If you see a Mitchell Fullrunner Electronic around, don't buy it.  Catching a bunch of large carp will cook the drag and you'll be cursing.  My friends and I have accounted for 3 of these and I was the only one who got a replacement on warranty.  Rod/reel balance is fairly important but since most carp rods are 11' -13' the large reel feels right.  I think the 4500B retails at around $110 new these days in the U.S. and the only difference between an old 4500 and the newer B model is the B has a positive stop and maybe a different line roller, which isn't important to me.  I'd consider a 4500 on ebay for $50 - $60 in good or new condition a bargain, otherwise I recommend saving up and buying a new one.  I know in the past Cabela's has had the 4500B for $100 and their Cabela's Predator 11' rod is a decent rod for about $60, but the highest test curve they come in is 2.25 lb, which is a little light for big carp, (and for that reel).   There are a few dedicated carp tackle shops in the states like royalcarp.com, resistancetackle.com, bigcarptackle.com, scorpiontackle.com, and a few others.  The tackle trader boards on some websites have good deals too.  The Carp Angler's Group's for sale board has some good deals once in awhile.  I hope that helps and feel free to ask for info anytime.
I hope your talking about the earlier model reels. I have a couple of 4500 and 3500 reels and the earlier ones with the little knob at the front of the spool are line catchers. A Pain in the a--. The perfect drag system is nice and the drags are nice BUT that knob. I know they changed the newer models at the front of the drag so they're probably nice.

buzzbomb

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2009, 09:04 AM »
I hope your talking about the earlier model reels. I have a couple of 4500 and 3500 reels and the earlier ones with the little knob at the front of the spool are line catchers. A Pain in the a--. The perfect drag system is nice and the drags are nice BUT that knob. I know they changed the newer models at the front of the drag so they're probably nice.
There's no 'little knob' on any of the ones I have, I think before they were designated 3500, 4500, 6500 there was the 350, 450, etc and the pictures of those look a little different.  The only B model I have is a 6500 and as previously stated there doesn't seem to be any difference between the B and the regular ones other than a positive stop and the letter B on the spool.   I think now is the time to get them as I've heard Shimano is discontinuing the line and replacing it with a new one, the BTR 4000D, 6000D, 8000D and 12000D and they're going to be more expensive.  From looking at the line capacity on the Shimano website the 8000 will be close to the 4500s I use.
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

Jack Magnum

« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2009, 03:43 PM »
There's no 'little knob' on any of the ones I have, I think before they were designated 3500, 4500, 6500 there was the 350, 450, etc and the pictures of those look a little different.  The only B model I have is a 6500 and as previously stated there doesn't seem to be any difference between the B and the regular ones other than a positive stop and the letter B on the spool.   I think now is the time to get them as I've heard Shimano is discontinuing the line and replacing it with a new one, the BTR 4000D, 6000D, 8000D and 12000D and they're going to be more expensive.  From looking at the line capacity on the Shimano website the 8000 will be close to the 4500s I use.
Mine are definately 3500 and 4500 reels and I know after I bought mine they improved that model like the ones you have. That little knob on the end are a pain. Anyway, Great drag and the only negatives is the handles don't fair well in a fall in rocky streams. Cost my son 19 bucks way back to get a replacement handle for his. Mine have caught many fish however and well worth the money.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.