FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: To the mountains (X2)  (Read 2734 times)

zwiggles

To the mountains (X2)
« on: Jul 08, 2020, 12:53 PM »
As the subject implies I headed out to the mountains of NH yesterday to try and find some colder water and little trout. I got some intel from a site member here about the flows and set out for a few hours in the afternoon yesterday with a new to me fly rod (7’6” 2 weight).

The water was surprisingly still ok in this little stream after the recent rain at about 65 and a bit cooler in the shade. I hooked and lost a small brookie on one of my first casts, and then saw something considerably larger move on my fly. Went back for the same drift and hooked into an angry brook trout who took me all over his holding area before I got it to the net. Photos don’t do it justice, but the fins looked sharp and I would guess it was around 12”:

Certainly my pb for a wild brookie if it wasn’t stocked.

Then for the next few hours I caught little brook trout in dry flys from 2”-8” until I lost count. I caught fish in basically every hole, and they were coming out of the water like a great white shark to hit it at times! Even had one beach itself on a rock after hitting the fly in the whitewater. I also had maybe a half dozen “last fish”, but I did eventually have to make the drive home. I did not take many pictures, but here’s a few:

Seeing the fish track the fly across the pool, and dart out from their hides holes is really neat, and I am continually impressed with how hard they fight for their size

Hottuna5150

Re: To the mountains
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Awesome report. Love native squaretails, they fight so hard.

jibbs

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2020, 01:08 PM »
Sounds fun ..I need to get out of dodge soon too ..thanks for sharing
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

mowbizz

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2020, 03:53 PM »
Very nice! That 12” one was a small stream trophy! Congrats!

AquaAssassin

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2020, 07:37 PM »
Stud fish! You hike into that pond yet?
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2020, 07:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

Stud fish! You hike into that pond yet?

I think I’m going to the pond you mentioned having fun at on Sunday, if the weather lines up. I hiked into the other pond south of there which neither of us had been to, and it was 75 degree bath water (before the rain last week) I turned around and kept heading north instead of having to clean some fish.

That or try to chase some stripers again, or troll for some salmon. I still haven’t been on Winni yet this year, but from what I hear it’s a tough year (and probably a few more coming unfortunately). The launch being shut down at Alton is still pissing me off. That, covid, and friends having new borns has thrown a monkey wrench in my usual trolling routine.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2020, 04:49 AM »
Good Call!

Covid is a pain in the dink no doubt.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2020, 05:27 AM »
Nice fish sounds like you had a great day.

bikrsrule

« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2020, 03:39 PM »
Congrats on the nice fish, thank you for the report and the pictures. I have caught some decent fish this season so far but most of time I am alone and dont take pictures..

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

oatkasut

« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2020, 12:14 PM »
That kind of fishing really is fun. I'm really glad  there are places like that to find those little brookie gems; I did the same thing in the Catskills  of New York last summer using a size 16 tan caddis. Thanks for sharing.

zwiggles

Re: To the mountains (X2)
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2020, 07:16 PM »
I had to travel a bit farther north, but I got into some more brookies yesterday in my day off. Fished 830-145 and lost count. The water was still kind of warm so only a few pictures, but it was a blast on the fly rod again!

AquaAssassin

« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2020, 09:14 PM »
Doin shadow puppets?  :P

Nice work pal!

Hottuna5150

« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Doin shadow puppets?  :P

Made me chuckle

Nice work zwiggles!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.