FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rental boat sunk at Gate 8  (Read 4383 times)

lowaccord66

Rental boat sunk at Gate 8
« on: Apr 21, 2021, 01:24 PM »
Details are hard to come by but my understanding is 2 rental boats were taking on water and 1 is at the bottom of the res.  Anyone else hear about this?

stripernut

Re: Rental boat sunk at Gate 8
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2021, 02:16 PM »
No, I haven't but I would have thought they would have enough foam under the seats that they would not sink to the bottom...

SkunkLuvver

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2021, 03:33 PM »
Oh jeeze.. hope everyone’s alright.
Def some gnarly weather today.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2021, 06:06 PM »
Apparently two boats were "messing around" in the center if the lake at gate 8 yesterday and one took on water and sank causing the renters from the one to join the other boat.  Apparently the info on this is part of some FB group for Quabbin that's private.  I don't do the FB but am not surprised.  I've seen some unqualified boaters goofing around out there in years past.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2021, 07:52 PM »
well one less boat for gate 8.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2021, 09:21 PM »
Would gasoline from the gas tank and outboard be a issue in a reservoir that is a drinking water supply?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2021, 09:28 PM »
I see a boat and motor was recovered in 2014 that had been sitting on the bottom since 1984.  It was discovered when some anglers snagged their anchor into it in 130 feet of water.

Doesn't it seem odd there wasn't any record of a boat sinking previously?

https://www.facebook.com/MassStatePolice/posts/quabbin-reservoirtroopers-from-state-police-belchertown-were-out-on-marine-28-ye/696242380459748/

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2021, 09:33 PM »
Would gasoline from the gas tank and outboard be a issue in a reservoir that is a drinking water supply?

I guess that depends on ones perspective.  The volume of potential gas leaking and oil is very small from a proportional standpoint.  To that end they allow recreational use there which involved hundreds of boat motors running in a public water supply...all with thru prop exhausts (which if you've run in a bucket you know that water gets real nasty) so I have a feeling it'll be a wash. 

Don't use FB so I can't access the link.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2021, 08:03 AM »
I guess that depends on ones perspective.  The volume of potential gas leaking and oil is very small from a proportional standpoint.  To that end they allow recreational use there which involved hundreds of boat motors running in a public water supply...all with thru prop exhausts (which if you've run in a bucket you know that water gets real nasty) so I have a feeling it'll be a wash. 

Don't use FB so I can't access the link.

You're right but there are chemicals out there that are harmful in parts per billion which is quite small. Lead is harmful in only 15 PPB and PFAS is harmful in parts per trillion.

scooper47

« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2021, 08:14 AM »
I would imagine that the people who want to ban fishing at the Quabbin will use this to their advantage.

PikeKing23

« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2021, 08:35 AM »
Right!   It always made me cringe that no boating license is required in MA.  Even just requiring a cheezy boating course would help.  I little education goes a long way.

deerhunter

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2021, 04:14 PM »
from what I got on the website was the plugs in the boat were put in wrong and water came into the boat and sunk it. im thinking was there even a plug in it.lol

scooper47

« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2021, 07:42 AM »
from what I got on the website was the plugs in the boat were put in wrong and water came into the boat and sunk it. im thinking was there even a plug in it.lol

Or did the put the plug on the inside?

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2021, 02:05 PM »

Interesting.. people there said specifically that they they were effin off in large waves and swamped one.  Either way it's no good.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2021, 02:41 PM »
I saw 2 rentals messing around last Sunday. they were racing each other and jumping each other's wakes like jet skies. this garbage keeps up and rentals will be a thing of the past.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.