MyFishFinder By Species > Carp

carp on a fly rod

(1/3) > >>

fastribs85:
guys i am going fishing for a week and this lake has some monsterrs in it any tips on catching them on a fly rod have soem dough baits but thought they might be fun on a flypole if i can get them to bite

camo_fish:
little black looking flies work for me like ants or woolies or use 1/32 or 1/16 jig head with little black twister. And I always sight fish them, of coarse.  :D
Then hang on  ;D

Jigwiggler:
The only time I fish for them with a fly rod is when they are feeding on top.  This usually only happens when there is a very heavy hatch.  As much as they eat, anything else isn't worth their time.  The Susquehanna river mayfly hatches can be  blast to fish.  You never know what you are going to catch because everything is feeding on them.  If you are far enough south to have cicadas then I am sure that would be a productive pattern.  Good luck!!

fastribs85:
thanks guys ill have to tie some up and im going north into the mountains of central pa in august so i dont think they will work then but ya never know

Jigwiggler:
No problem fastribs.  I would think that the standard match the hatch game would work for carp.  Carp can be fairly selective when it comes to fishing dries but when there is a large hatch and the feed is on I think they will suck down just about anything.  If they are not feeding on top, there are not many fish out there that will turn down a black or olive woolly bugger. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version