MyFishFinder By Species > Carp

Carp fishing with a float?

<< < (2/2)

dmntd169:

--- Quote from: Water Wolf on Apr 15, 2011, 03:34 PM ---Thanks for the info hammercarp & bigredfishing. :)

Those are neat looking floats, but unfortunately I only have a more typical
Lindy slip float that you would use for walleye, perch or trout.

Would one like that work on the carp?  :-\

WW

--- End quote ---

I've used them as well as just a plain old foam trout float with pretty good success. As to where to position you're bait under the float, it depends on where they are feeding. If they are primarily feeding on the bottom you'll want your bait there, if they are more towards the surface then you'll want it higher. I've had quite a few over the past 2 years actually come up and try to eat the foam float when they are feeding off the surface

stoph:
 The boys have given good info, i love to fish the lift up rig as hammercarp has shown.

A regular slip bobber will work fine for carp, any float can be rigged right to work.  I have used hair rigs with success under a float, but i prefer a regular size 8 or 6 mustad hook (i love the gold colour corn or roe bag hooks) with 2-3 kernals of canned corn directly on the hook.

Most of the time you want your bait to remain motionless on the bottom, so make sure you have a split shot or something (tungston putty rocks!) about 4-6" away from your bait holding on bottom. Have the float set as precise as you can so you can set the hook quick (and not loose a rod to a fatty!).
 If they are confidently feeding on the drop, use split shot getting smaller as you get to the hook, to slowly sink your bait past them.
 If they are on the surface google  'controller float rig'  awesome with bread or dry dog food!

Fluorocarbon is your friend and will sink nicely and be invisible (ish) to hogs.

Float fishing is one of the most deadly techniques for carp, a little patience will heap gold rewards!!   If you can see them, don't cast on their heads, but 6' in front of them, let them discover your bait on their own, chum little and often, especially in a river!

May you burn out the drag on your favorite reel!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version