FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Feisty Fishies in Fine Fighting Fettle  (Read 1069 times)

bogtrotter

Feisty Fishies in Fine Fighting Fettle
« on: May 16, 2021, 05:55 PM »
I got to fish two local streams this afternoon.

Another beautiful day - - sunny, blue skies (although there are lowering clouds and thunder to the south of me as I write this) and the thermometer crept up to 75 degrees at its height.

At 12 noon, I dropped my younger son off at the gym in North Adams and fished the North Hoosic there for a couple of hours (from the Natural Marble Bridge State Park down to Old Glory Rock).

I caught one 11" brown early on (just below the entrance to the Park) but got nothing but a nice walk for my efforts otherwise before picking up my son and driving home.

After dropping off my son at home, I headed out to the South Hoosic, and fished it for a couple hours from Cheshire Harbor to Elm Rock.

There were several brown trout swimming around (and occasionally rising at) Cheshire Harbor, and several fishermen casting  everything from bait (yours truly) to spinners to flies, but for whatever reason the browns  just weren't interested in what was on offer.

A little further downstream, I landed a 9" brookie below the dam.  Then I headed back to my car and drove downstream and parked my car not too farm from Mullen Mayflower.

I caught a 13" rainbow in the run by the tree with the gnarly roots across the street from Mullen Mayflower.

Then I waded and walked (along the Bike Trail) and fished a number of spots downstream from there - - and had a few tentative strikes but no actual fish until I reached Elm Rock, where I reeled in a 14" rainbow, before heading back to my car and driving home.

lowaccord66

Re: Feisty Fishies in Fine Fighting Fettle
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 06:37 AM »
Nice trip Jim.  I like that stretch along the path there, specifically under the bridge.

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 05:02 PM »
Nice trip Jim.  I like that stretch along the path there, specifically under the bridge.

At this point, I am thinking the optimal time for you to visit would be Memorial Day weekend.

Shoot me a PM to let me know whether any of those days works for you, and if so, which one(s).

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 08:41 PM »
Ironically that's also the optimal time for me to rot at the canal all weekend.  Probably my last big trip for some time to come as my son us due June 15th.

bogtrotter

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 07:21 AM »
Ironically that's also the optimal time for me to rot at the canal all weekend.  Probably my last big trip for some time to come as my son us due June 15th.

Gotcha!  Let me do a little more "scouting" this week, and I will get back to you.  Perhaps we could move up your visit to this weekend.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 07:48 PM »
Got your email and I think we can make it happen specifically if we start early like we did last time. 

Nmcbean413

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 09:16 PM »
Sounds like a great outing! I have to try get out this weekend! If not trout fishing in the day then bullhead in the night!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.