FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hat Trick  (Read 807 times)

bogtrotter

Hat Trick
« on: May 22, 2021, 06:42 PM »
I fished (and caught fish) on all three branches of the Hoosic today.

Goldilocks conditions prevailed throughout the day - - the stream levels weren't too high or too low, but just right - - and the temperatures were warm but not blisteringly hot.

Starting in the morning (when it was 70 degrees and hazy) on the South Hoosic in Cheshire, I landed two (10") brookies,  two browns (one 9" and one 12") and one (12") rainbow. 

(I also caught eight dace, ranging from 2" to 8", and saw a 15" garter snake along the Bike Trail).

In the late morning and early afternoon (when it was 75 degrees, cloudy, and briefly sprinkled), I fished the Main Hoosic in North Adams and Williamstown, and reeled in one (14") rainbow near Central Radio, two browns (one 10" and one 12") near the Ashton Avenue Bridge and another (11") brown behind Spruces Park. 

(On the other hand, I also lost a 13" rainbow and a 10" brown a little further downstream behind Spruces Park).

Finally, in the mid afternoon (when it was 80 degrees and partly sunny), I fished the North Hoosic below the Eclipse Mill dam in North Adams and caught one 13" rainbow about 25 yards below the dam.

lowaccord66

Re: Hat Trick
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 07:34 AM »
Thats a solid day Jim.  I snuck say for 2 hours and fished the Housy.  I had a guide with his clients watch me nail a few while they ate lunch and sat in the guides drift boat.

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Thats a solid day Jim.  I snuck say for 2 hours and fished the Housy.  I had a guide with his clients watch me nail a few while they ate lunch and sat in the guides drift boat.

Very cool.

I'm hoping we can/looking forward to getting together in CT on Free Fishing Day in June (both our schedules permitting, of course).

What's your preference - - Housatonic or Farmington?

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 07:19 AM »
Farmington I am more consistent but only because I've been pounding it for 20 years.  The housy is fun because it's 20 mins to the trout management area for me and the wild browns can be larger if you are lucky enough to land one.  Overall for numbers I'd pick the farmington.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.