FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tully Lake (Pond)?  (Read 1771 times)

taxid

Tully Lake (Pond)?
« on: Dec 09, 2021, 04:20 PM »
Looks like I'll be staying at cottage on Tully Lake in June 2022 near Orange, Mass for a few days on vacation, so I don't have to drive so far to launch the boat on Quabbin. (Will be decomtaminated hopefully June 16th).

I've seen a report about the pond here: 

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2016/08/qd/dfwtully.pdf   

but that's a little dated being 1998. Just wondered if anyone can tell me anything more about the lake? I love catching and releasing any species of sunfish on a flyrod especially when they are bedding in June, so if there are any of any size in the lake that would be cool. Also like to go out at night with the kayak and cast surface baits for bass.

Thanks in Advance.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Steve H.

Re: Tully Lake (Pond)?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2021, 06:53 AM »
I don't have any intel on that pond but regardless, I'm sure you'll have a great trip.  No shortage of panfish in that part of the state.  Definitely something to look forward to over the winter.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2021, 07:28 AM »
I don't have any intel on that pond but regardless, I'm sure you'll have a great trip.  No shortage of panfish in that part of the state.  Definitely something to look forward to over the winter.

Thanks. Did find out from a friend in Mass he has caught slab crappies there through the ice.

Turns out we wil be staying near Petersham instead. It's a little closer to Quabbin.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2021, 11:17 PM »
I will be happy to send you to some good local waters and if you are interested you can borrow my canoe (with pontoons if you want) to get into some great waters... Most of the sunfish that I have seen on Tully are not that big, but I was not looking either.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2021, 08:18 PM »
I will be happy to send you to some good local waters and if you are interested you can borrow my canoe (with pontoons if you want) to get into some great waters... Most of the sunfish that I have seen on Tully are not that big, but I was not looking either.

Wow that's very nice of you! I really appreciate the offer! However having lived out there I have lmited time and have my spots already picked out. Just asked about Tully as I thought I was going to stay there but now I'm not.

Definitely fishing Quabbin as is in my opinon it's the crown jewel water of Massachusetts, and I'm sure you, Will, and others agree. I have a few places in Area 3 on Quabbin where I know the big gills bed in June and are an absolute blast with a flyrod. So big and strong it's tough to get them in! One year I was out there in June and it was cooler than normal, and they weren't on the beds yet. But my dad and I found them off a nearby break on the other side of an old stone fence that led into the water.

I may also do some drop shotting for smallmouth. I have down riggers and a Minnkota Ipilot on the boat (I'll make an appointment to decontaminate out there) so may do some coldwater trolling and vertical jigging, but I have plenty of that out here on the Great Lakes if I want it

My other location I'm staying at is in Sterling, so I may see if I can find some bluegill beds on Wachusett?  Know anything about bluegill on Wachusett? I fished East Wachucum near there once and they wern't of any size.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2021, 08:22 PM »
Here's my favorite pond out there with big sunfish and well stocked with browns, brook, tigers, and rainbows and some holdover. No development on it, and electric motors only. Used to live not far from it as kid. Water quality is excellent with at least a 25 foot water clarity.

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2021, 09:01 PM »
As we have talked about before, all my Gills I get are just by-catch and when I fish The Chu I am not looking for gills, but I know there are plenty there...

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2021, 11:03 PM »
As we have talked about before, all my Gills I get are just by-catch and when I fish The Chu I am not looking for gills, but I know there are plenty there...

Are they of good size? Some places have big ones and some never do.

Another good one for big gills used to be Spectacle Pond near Lancaster. No boat launch but a beach you can launch a car top boat. Sign says for Lancaster residents only although I think that might just be the beach use as the state used to plant it with trout.

stripernut

« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2021, 05:19 AM »
I know they are not stunted...

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2021, 07:37 AM »
I know they are not stunted...

That's good to know. Thanks! 

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2021, 01:37 PM »
near the stone church of Wachusett you can see bluegill bedding. I would recommend lake quinsig for sizeable bluegill

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2021, 04:59 PM »

Been to Quinsig. Sadly quite developed if I remember right, which reminds me of lakes out here in Indiana. I'll keep it in mind though!

Ever fish South Pond (Quacomquasit) near Brookfield? It was regulated as a trophy brown trout pond when I fished it years ago, but not sure now. I caught and released one brown their trolling about 15 inches. Marked schools of alewives that were so thick they blackend my screen, and was nailing large crappie (calico bass) at night while I was fishing for trout in deep water with a slip bobber rig, shiners, using a lantern. The crappie were so big I thought the heck with the trout. I still have one mounted on the wall in my studio.

On a funny note I knew I was in trouble when I pulled into the private campground there, when the trash totally missed the dumpster, and the owner's wife greeted me with no teeth.  :unsure: And the alleged lake view was blocked by a small forest contrary to the brochure. There is a road there on the way to a bait store called Podunk Road. For those that haven't seen it I kid you not!

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2021, 05:02 PM »
near the stone church of Wachusett you can see bluegill bedding. I would recommend lake quinsig for sizeable bluegill

I remember you telling me that before and I will check it out!

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2021, 07:29 AM »
Been there. Sadly quite developed if I remember right, which reminds me of lakes out here in Indiana. I'll keep it in mind though!

Ever fish South Pond (Quacomquasit) near Brookfield? It was regulated as a trophy brown trout pond when I fished it years ago, but not sure now. I caught and released one brown their trolling about 15 inches. Marked schools of alewives that were so thick they blackend my screen, and was nailing large crappie (calico bass) at night while I was fishing for trout in deep water with a slip bobber rig, shiners, using a lantern. The crappie were so big I thought the heck with the trout. I still have one mounted on the wall in my studio.

On a funny note I knew I was in trouble when I pulled into the private campground there, when the trash totally missed the dumpster, and the owner's wife greeted me with no teeth.  :wacko:And the alleged lake view was blocked by a small forest contrary to the brochure. There is a road there on the way to a bait store called Podunk Road. For those that haven't seen it I kid you not!
I fish south pond quite frequently. I have caught many nice browns there and it's loaded with alewives. yes quinsig is quite developed but you can find big bluegills usually suspending around the 290 bridge or probing the shoreline on the southern end of the lake.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2021, 08:45 AM »
I fish south pond quite frequently. I have caught many nice browns there and it's loaded with alewives. yes quinsig is quite developed but you can find big bluegills usually suspending around the 290 bridge or probing the shoreline on the southern end of the lake.

Thanks. Good to know if if things don't pan out on other lakes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.